Start-up producer set

- ask away
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Start-up producer set

Post by Celltek »

Ive been thinking about doing productions for a while now. I graduate from Uni next week (hopefully) and I will have a shitload of extra time on my hands. So I have been thinking of investing in either a new DJ set or give producing a try. I'll be going for the second one.

Can any of you advice me on good start-up equipment for making tech-house-minimal. (ableton+cubase+midi controller (which)+mixer (which)+monitors?+sampler)
I've got about 1200 start up for this month and will double that by next month and the month after.. So 3600 for the lot.

Any help is much apprechiated
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

3'600 euros?

and do you allready have a pc?
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

here's i list of gear i would buy if i would start out:

Software:
Ableton Live 6 + Sampler and Operator 717¢

Midi-Controler:
Novation Remote SL 25 400¢

Audio/Midi-Interface:
MOTU Ultralite 580¢

Studiomonitors:
KRK RP-5 400¢

in this case you got 1600¢ for a pc/mac
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

northernlight wrote:here's i list of gear i would buy if i would start out:

Software:
Ableton Live 6 + Sampler and Operator 717¢

Midi-Controler:
Novation Remote SL 25 400¢

Audio/Midi-Interface:
MOTU Ultralite 580¢

Studiomonitors:
KRK RP-5 400¢

in this case you got 1600¢ for a pc/mac
I do have a PC that i'm going to dedicate to music. Okay i should probably get a better sound card and a good amplifier to power those monitors
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

northernlight wrote:
+ Sampler and Operator 717¢
Are these included or additional plugins you can buy?
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

Celltek wrote:
I do have a PC that i'm going to dedicate to music. Okay i should probably get a better sound card and a good amplifier to power those monitors
the KRKs are active monitors, you don't need an amplifier. just plug them into the MOTU.

also the MOTU serves as a soundcard :wink:

keep in mind, these are only my recommendations. it's not the best gear. as you got 1600 spare, you could go for bigger/better monitors and a midicontroller with more keys.

best is to go to shop/friends and try that stuff out, play with it, listen to it.

and don't buy at first sight. hold back. go back home. get a good night of sleep or two. and then go back and buy it if you still want it.

also with the software. i would recommend to download demos of all the stuff you wanna try. Cubase, Ableton Live, Renoise. Download all the big sequencer/tracker demos and give each a week. i'm sure you will discover what you like and what you don't.

basicly, try the stuff and play with it before you spend money.
Leon Neon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leon Neon »

I really think buying monitors is too personal for any suggestions to be taken very seriously-go listen to a bunch before you buy anything. As for MIDI controllers, well, I think that's kinda personal too. Good suggestions so far, but I must say that I think at least one piece of hardware would be nice to even things out. Your budget depends greatly on whether or not you already have a computer with a fast dual processor, 1 GB RAM, fast front-side bus, 2 very large HDs, and an audio card worthy of 24bit 96Khz sound. If you have a computer that isn't up to those standards, I suggest you put your money towards that first. If you've got that covered already, I suggest a machinedrum after ableton etc.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

Leon Neon wrote:I really think buying monitors is too personal for any suggestions to be taken very seriously-go listen to a bunch before you buy anything. As for MIDI controllers, well, I think that's kinda personal too. Good suggestions so far, but I must say that I think at least one piece of hardware would be nice to even things out. Your budget depends greatly on whether or not you already have a computer with a fast dual processor, 1 GB RAM, fast front-side bus, 2 very large HDs, and an audio card worthy of 24bit 96Khz sound. If you have a computer that isn't up to those standards, I suggest you put your money towards that first. If you've got that covered already, I suggest a machinedrum after ableton etc.
:!: