Marco Carola production techiques?

- ask away
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Marco Carola production techiques?

Post by intellijel »

I have been a fan of Marco Carola for a long time, but mainly for the deep, gritty tracks on the Question series/label. (which seems to have been totally underated by most minimal techno purists I have encountered)

I have always been really curious about his workflow, and especially the equipment he uses. I am pretty confident he is using a lot of older hardware (909, old samplers, analog board etc.) that contribute to the nice hiss and grit of the tracks.
Anyone know what he is is using?

Also I have alwasy eben trying to tell if he is maniuplating samples/loops for the melodic parts (and percussion as well) or is he sampling himself?

More details about his approach to producing would be great!
Unclean
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Unclean »

why don't you contact Marco yourself ?
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

In my experience, most well known producers are hassled regularly by gear nerds asking them questions. Also, most succesful producers in the electronic music world are super busy.
I have also noticed that a lot of producers who get to a certain level will guard/reserve the details of their techniques but will share tips+tricks with their peers (other good producers from whom they can also learn stuff in return). The attitude is basically that one needs to pay their dues and earn the right to be able to learn someone elses hard-learned production techniques.
How do I convey to someone by e-mail that I am not a newbie, know a lot about gear but am more interested in his perspective on his tools from an artist point of view (not a purely technical. e.g. the playability, and other qualitative factors)

But hey, it's worth a shot! Do you have his e-mail address?

cheers,
Danjel
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

Do your own s##t, stay of forums and produce lots. Find your own style.

Have you tried to find out if he have a Myspace site?

Try to send some tracks or something.
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

I do have my own style and technique... I have been developing it for the past 12 years or so. That doesn't mean I can't still learn from other people who make music that I like.
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

12 years and you are making this kind of topics on forums?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Bogdan wrote:12 years and you are making this kind of topics on forums?
whats the problem?
If ppl want to learn then theres something wrong??? :?

yeah, stupid ppl learn - smart ones know by heart.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

So Jaun Atkins was a fool for learning techniques from Maurizio? And Speedy J was a fool for learning stuff from the Plus 8 camp? and and and...

Jeese production police, get a grip - this forum is about learning and sharing knowledge - don't bash people for actually asking the questions!!! We are always trying to figure things out, every single major contributor to this thing called minimal will at some point have tried to emulate a trick or idea from another source, artist or studio. Nothing wrong with that - it's how you use those skills that count, if you can make it new and fresh then you're doing something well, if not, you're just a copycat...

Labels and distributors will pick up what they feel is good or fresh, and won't really care if someone used the same mixing desk as Carola, or the same tape delay.
r.i.

let the music talk