Daniel "dbx" Bell: Appreciation thread

WESDEX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by WESDEX »

dan was great at magnetronik last saturday !

also nice meeting you dan :)
~ magnetronik & triple t.
~ http://www.wesdex.nl
~ http://www.magnetronik.nl
keithkemp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by keithkemp »

v404 wrote:
keithkemp wrote:i had the pleasure of working for Dan Bell in the last year (months) of 7th City....although it was a stressful time, Dan taught me a lot about music...as well as some great times hanging out in the old 7th city (formerly KMS) building on Gratiot here in the D...
soo hard to pick a DBX classic...but the first 3 Accelerate 12" do it for me every time...as well as the Elevate Special projects...
Why did 7th City call it quits? I remember hearing ages ago that John Tejada & Justin Maxwell were going to put out an LP on 7th City but that never materialized...
as far as the label goes, i'm not sure.
as far as 7th City, the distributor....ask anyone who runs a label in this world..it's hard to get paid. even for the distributors.
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

keithkemp wrote:
v404 wrote:
keithkemp wrote:i had the pleasure of working for Dan Bell in the last year (months) of 7th City....although it was a stressful time, Dan taught me a lot about music...as well as some great times hanging out in the old 7th city (formerly KMS) building on Gratiot here in the D...
soo hard to pick a DBX classic...but the first 3 Accelerate 12" do it for me every time...as well as the Elevate Special projects...
Why did 7th City call it quits? I remember hearing ages ago that John Tejada & Justin Maxwell were going to put out an LP on 7th City but that never materialized...
as far as the label goes, i'm not sure.
as far as 7th City, the distributor....ask anyone who runs a label in this world..it's hard to get paid. even for the distributors.
Hmm, sounds kinda strange though because now, a lot of those 7th city records including most of Daniel Bell's records go for at least
$50 bucks on the web, sh!t, Iv'e seen some go as high as $150!!! on discogs and gemm. I think it wouldn't hurt Daniel Bell's bank account if he were to repress some of those records. He'll make his money and then some, he's sitting on a gold mine.
jakGALT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jakGALT »

JThoma wrote:I really like the Rhodes track on Telegraph. I still remember when that record came out, everytime I played that track people would come up to the booth and ask WTF that was, without fail. I would practicaly time it to see how long it took someone to ask. :)

Hard to say which record is my favorite, probably Lost Traxx on Klang nice artwork too.
bloody amazing ...that Rhodes track...
plus.....squirrel bait is sexy and indy too....mad vibes
.....word!

www.soundcloud.com/GALTFaculty

GALT|Faculty
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: agree!

Post by Lluck »

smith wrote:
jakGALT wrote:Love his respect for true minimalism and raw sht....BEST DJ hands down I have witnessed ever!
You obviously haven't heard his mates Claude Young or Shake. These are the guys Dan learned from.. I heard him spin a few times in the mid 90's and it was pretty weak, it's great that he's kept at it and pulled his socks up.

,g

Obviously or not, sometimes pupils even surpass their teachers...
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Daniel Bell is certainly one of the best thing i've experienced in minimal techno.

Just one remark though: i always thought that DBX=Bell + Von Ostwald (it's mentioned like that on several records, for example on Cassy's Panoramabar mix) so after reading teh topic i fell abit confused...
astro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by astro »

daniel bell is not only a great producer but his musical selection is amongst the finest i´ve heard.
versatile as not many others.
big respect to dan bell.

:!:
zero.
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: agree!

Post by smith »

Lluck wrote:Obviously or not, sometimes pupils even surpass their teachers...
With full respect to Dan Bell, He hasn't surpassed his DJ teachers (If I'm to judge him by recordings of sets of him from recent years)! Dig his tracks.. but damn, I wish I could find a minimal DJ that could throw down like Shake or Claude Young.

,g