Minimal knowledge

- ask away
Cameron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Minimal knowledge

Post by Cameron »

Hi. I hope someone can help. I'm new to writing minimal house. I run an Apple G4 with Logic 7. Unfortunatly it's acting up so I am now limited to using my pc and Reason 2.5. Can anybody tell me how to go about writing minimal and creating minimal sounds in Reason?. As I am new to minimal I am unsure how to perfect these sounds. Kick, snare, Synths,quantize,well pretty much everything really. Thanks for your help and time. :lol:
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

ok first of all, welcome to the board cameron.
secondly. there is really no set way of going about making minimal but when i first started out i listened to my favorite tracks a lot. i studied them and attempted to see why they worked. some people may disagree with me but i do enjoy finding inspiration from others music. it brings forth new ideas for me and helps me to create my own. don't be afraid to just dive right in either, do what sounds right to you, because in the process of making music it is all about how you are feeling about the track. i hope this helped you some i do have a hard time answering these questions...
Cameron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cameron »

Thanks for your help, I appreciate you taking the time. I will try and relax, then maybe it will start to flow better. Reason is a great programme but you are limited to what you can do. When I am writing I think what I'm doing is poor because I'm not using high tech equipment like other artists. Less pressure on myself I think ( it's turning into The Oprah Winfrey Show now. Sorry about that ! ). Thanks again and like I said, I appreciate it.
Cameron. :D
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

its not the equipment that makes the music. its you. so fck it. the best music is made by ppl with limited access to equipment. just use what you have and use it well and to the max. you can do suprisingly freaky good stuff i know!
Cameron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cameron »

Thanks for your help. It's great to find a group of this kind with people who are willing to share and help one another out. I have found all your comments a real help and I appreciate it. Thanks :roll:
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

Cameron wrote:Thanks for your help. It's great to find a group of this kind with people who are willing to share and help one another out. I have found all your comments a real help and I appreciate it. Thanks :roll:
sarcasm?
Cameron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cameron »

No not at all. I'm just being honest and thank you for your help.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

first i would listen to as many minimal tunes, from producers you like, as possbile. But not just listen to them, you have to analyze them. What makes them work. What elements are they using, and how many instances of each element. Make mental notes about all the small tricks they use in sound design and arrangement.

then start to use these tunes as a model for you own tracks. you can even copy a tune you really like into your sequencer, and start to rebuild it with your own sounds.

after you have done that several times, forget all about it, delete all of this from your memory and start to make your own original tunes.