dance musik

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

dance musik

Post by plaster »

i don't know how many of you listened to other styles of modern dance music, but i played house, breakbeat and dnb for a while. it made me think why "minimal" music doesn't have that "move your feet" feeling? 90% of the tracks are made out of "i'm out of life and will to do anything" theme.

bla
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

it has the "move your feet" feeling for me :)
listened to dnb A LOT like 5 years ago but now I think its total sh!t.
uve to be rly fucked in the head to enjoy it.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Robot Criminal wrote:it has the "move your feet" feeling for me :)

so, could you please name a few artists that you think are dynamic? i+m not talking about a simple bassline and 4/4 kick. that really doesn't do it for me to move.
nihad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nihad »

plaster wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote:it has the "move your feet" feeling for me :)

so, could you please name a few artists that you think are dynamic? i+m not talking about a simple bassline and 4/4 kick. that really doesn't do it for me to move.

villalobos production is dynamic, but then again i doubt you know what dynamic production really means, coz most of the d'n'b and breakbeat really isn't dynamic (though a lot of more "atmospheric" and jazz influenced stuff are in some cases)

i think you're asking for stuff with more energy ..

in my opinion audion stuff are energetic, as well as a lot of eulberg and ananda tracks .. find the gems for yourself ;)

or stick to d'n'b .. hehe
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

ric y martin - froebel 1792 / sini est
and every studio 1 release

imo minimal (techno) is all about getting the right results with the least (not considering the effort of course :D).
And what do u mean by "dynamic"?
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

i don't consider minimal a genre. its more of an idea behind music. it typically applies to techno or electronic stuff but there have been ages of minimal production and composition. i consider some of the bebop jazz minimal...monk's "one note' solos. For me, minimal stands for not cheesey, not over produced, old school even. Think of early house, or techno, or electro...if they were released today, many of those tracks would be looked at as minimal. there are lots of way to look at minimal music, but to say it doesn't move feet, i don't quite get...sure there is the chin stroking stuff, but I have been to some "feet moving parties" and there were some feet a moving. I prefer not to get stuck on genre's. Some stuff that is labled minimal could also go down as break beat or 10 years back house...I happen to like what some call micro house and minimal house. I used to play electro but always dug stuff they now call minimal. back 5-10 years ago, minimal wasn't really solidified as it is now. i had to dig through old mags to even catch a hint of it...even 3 or 4 years ago. sh!t, techno was't even labled until 88. minimal...I think that was robert hood in the mid 90s...hawtin wanted to call it freak music i think...point is who cares...some move some don't...what ever...minimal iswhatitis.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

there's plenty of funk amongst the music that gets called 'minimal'

the Grindvik liveset i'm listening to right now has a wicked groove to it. PanPot are also doing great things rhythmically. Indeed, Audion's stripped-down gritty techno is very rave orientated too. That new Afternoon Coffee Boys on Clink is pretty skippy aswell. The list goes on.

And the really good thing about Techno/House these days is that it's not confined to one rhythm. Okay, it's all based around 4/4, but what excites me is that the rhythms and patterns vary so much. As opposed to a lot of 90's Techno which seemed quite focussed on a straight kick drum. Lots of producers freeing their minds and pushing the boundaries today. Great stuff.
Unclean
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Unclean »

Sleeparchive... :)