Dutch interview in Sp!ts

- open
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Dutch interview in Sp!ts

Post by -ix »

For our dutch reading members:

An interview about techno, minimal and mnml.nl in the second largest paper of NL:

http://www.spitsnet.nl/nieuws.php/13/66 ... ld_is.html
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Ah, I read this on another forum allready.
Very nice :wink:
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

someone cares to translate maybe?
would be interesting...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

Robot Criminal wrote:someone cares to translate maybe?
would be interesting...
Don't have the time at the moment but let's try to understand a little with
babelfish for the moment:

http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/tr ... ld_is.html

Sorry RC!
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

-ix wrote: Don't have the time at the moment but let's try to understand a little with
babelfish for the moment:

http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/tr ... ld_is.html

Sorry RC!
Holy Christ! You make me spit out my coffee with this!

Babelfish translations are pure genious:

"techno is muziekstroming for liefhebber, you must deepen you"

or

"At techno festivals of lords gedreun and tight jaws it is already rapidly thought. Toch the festivals always mainstreamer become and are minimal, melodious hear zijstroming, on more and more ' general ' dance festivals".

Who the fck are Lords Gedreun? Do they really need to deepen me tight jaws?! :lol:

Thanks -ix! You just saved my day!
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

omfg i'm not spitting my coffe, but rotflmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frequently explained, but never, are techno present alive and kicking died.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
moey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by moey »

So I finally got around to translating this. I think it turned out just marginally better than Babelfish. Please feel free to correct any mistakes.

Originating in the '80's, techno is a type of music that through the years has withstood many changes. Often declared "dead" but never dying, presently techno is alive and kicking. Sp!ts talks with Dutch techno rolemodel (?) Bart Skils, and the guys who set up mnml.nl, Harm Rhebergen and Vincent Pot, about techno and the flourishing minimal scene.

"Techno is a genre of music for the enjoyment of life, you must immerse yourself in it." Bart Skills, organizer of techno parties such as Voltt (which experienced its first, sold-out outdoor edition this past Sunday), and Traffic, has been busy with dj-ing since 1995. What does he think about the Dutch techno scene? "Mainly in ther last two years, the Netherlands has been working hard in the international market. Various Dutch dj's have broken through, such as Steve Rachmad and Joris Voorn. Also, new Amsterdam labels such as Planet Delcin and 100% Pure are in the spotlight abroad. The Netherlands is growing internationally, but it is the German labels and producers who are at the forefront with electronic music.

"Simply, techno has many faces. You can show all of its aspects(?), so it works at big festivals and also at small parties. Techno is currently so broad, in terms of its development that you can fit it everywhere," according to Skils. The founders of mnml.nl also see the changes as positive. "In this way, you reach a broader audience. The moment that you set techno into a party such as Lowlands, many people will come by and take a peek at the performances. Perhaps that pulls visitors over the line to also in future go to a danceparty."

When you then go to such a party, you will certainly also hear minimal djs such as Jeff Mills, Lauhaus or Jeff Milligan spinning. But what influence has the increase of minimal had on the field of techno and why is it at this moment so popular? "About five years ago in Germany there was a resistance to techno that was becoming increasingly harder. This minimalist current, to go back to the basics, influenced the harder variants. This resulted in techno such as it is meant to be: a broad style that would be built up throughout an entire night," says Skils. The men of mnml.nl see techno becoming broader as a result of the ascendency of minimal, "The founders of techno who came from Detroit already spun minimal techno that was a bit heavier than what people currently consider minimal. The contemporary minimal has therefor ensured that the techno scene in any case has become a bit broader.

The future for the techno and minimal scene is looking rosy. A wider musical current for a bigger audience. "It woudld not surprise me if, in the coming years, we hear more of this music genre. I also think that minimal is going to weave its way into still other musical genres, such as at this moment for example, is happening with trance," think Rhebergen and Pot. They share opinions with Skils: "I think that in the coming years different genres once again will end up together. Hopefully it will be like in the early and middle years of the 90's: a huge current of electronic music."

mnml.nl is at present the digital meeting place for people who appreciate the minimal genre. The site is becoming more and more popular, with 50,000 unique visitors per month from all corners of the world. Remarkably, is that by far the most visitors come from America, with the Netherlands at a respectable second place. In Holland, there are more and more minimal parties, only our eastern neighbors organize more.

:wink:
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Thanks alot!

But i still don't get who are these lords gedreun who want to deepen me!

:lol: