What to start with ?

- ask away
unminimaltruisme
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

What to start with ?

Post by unminimaltruisme »

Hi all.

I am curious about music making with softwares. I'd like to try that. To be honest I already tried a little Reason but I'm not in love with it.

Which software do you advice me to begin with ?

PS : I know question was certainly already posted before but please still answer me :)
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

I'd say go with Ableton Live.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

i say reason with ableton

that sh!t is a powerhouse of possibilities

as far as reason is concerned i would say you gotta dig into it before u appreciate it. maybe u did..maybe u didnt....i thought reason was absolute sh!t for a long time...then it just turned for me
unminimaltruisme
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by unminimaltruisme »

I am actually not against digging into Reason but what is boring to me is using Subtractor ( & Malstrom) synth ... I can't make any good sound with that ... sic :/

Is there any "directive line" with using synth ? I mean any "tip" for a good start or explication about the way synthesis works ( One will say me No as in the other topic ) or is the way to rely on his ears and imagination ( one will say me Of Course :))

_ Sorry for my poor English. _
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
well there u go. some serious reading about all kinds of synthesis (start from the bottom of the page)

and u can make very fckdy sounds with subtracktor and maelström. Just go nuts with it. I recon when they first introduced maelström (i think it was reason 2.0) I was all like Image (Didn't know anything about virsyn or stuff like that then though :roll:)

but for starters - go with reason and learn it good.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Unclean
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Unclean »

VinceRobaw: Man, start with reason, it's good point for begginers... It's very powerfull, and subtractor & Maelstrom are both great to play with...

after that study synthesis...
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

i will agree with the rest here man. start simple and work your way up. try reason out some more before you throw it to the lions, it is a great program too. many great tracks have been done on just that program alone. you'll find that if you go deep into most any program you will be able to get what you want out of it however directly or indirectly.
brambosjes
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by brambosjes »

Zinthek wrote:I'd say go with Ableton Live.
Is there any way I can use my keyboard (MUSIC keyboard, not PC Keyboard) into Ableton? I don't get it how I should do it?

I'm kinda noobish... I already use Ableton to manually create songs with wavs/sound etc that are already in the program. So I need this other program to make some sounds?