Speaker - amp question

- ask away
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Speaker - amp question

Post by Sneaky »

I have a pair of dual 15" speakers and an amp and when there is no sound going through the speakers with the power on i hear a audible humm noise - im wondering if i buy a feedback destroyer if it will work to take that humm away?
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

dat humming, is properly coming beacause your system is not ground wired (u understand? 8)). I had the same for a while and still on another computer. Check your system if it is ground wired. If it is not, then maybe that will be the problem.

cheers,

Bob
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Last night I noticed that when there's no sound going through my speakers. I hear some kind of radio station. It's really low though. But you can clearly make out voices and music. Pretty weird :?
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

That is EVP! U have contact with dead people :wink:!
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

Zinthek wrote:Last night I noticed that when there's no sound going through my speakers. I hear some kind of radio station. It's really low though. But you can clearly make out voices and music. Pretty weird :?
when I had my studio downtown I had similar problems. I was lacking a pair of proper tele-cables as I gave some away to a friend, and was for a moment forced to use (unbalanced, ofcourse) RCA cables with tele-adapters for one of my reverb effects, the effect was picking up fotball games. :)

you probably have a radio-transmitter somewhere in the near where you live, then this can happen if you're not having balanced cables. etc.

...and to answer the original question of the thread: get a groundloop isolator, it will most likely solve it.
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Minimiser wrote:That is EVP! U have contact with dead people :wink:!
Haha, well then they're sure singing cheesy songs :D

Maybe my 20 year old speakers have something to do with it too, though 8)
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

You might also find if you're running anything else on the same powerpoint (ie. lamps) it might cause problems. Just run it direct to the wall, and the rest of the setup from another point, see if that helps.
r.i.

let the music talk
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

OK thanks guys, I will try the different power outlet thing first cause i have pretty much all of my gear running from the same outlet. then try a ground loop isolater, i did however have a similiar issue with my laptop creating a humm noise and went with a three pong to two prong plug in and that took care of that noise and tried this on my amp but didnt have the same magic.