midi sync - Final Scratch + Ableton

- ask away
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

midi sync - Final Scratch + Ableton

Post by revy »

hey there everyone -

i know final scratch 2 has midi out capabilities, I was wondering if anyone had any experience running loops/tracks in ableton synced with final scratch.

was thinking about trying it for a live gig in a few weeks but my buddy with final scratch lives in a different town so we might not get to practice much until the day of the show. so if anyone has any good tips for setting up and making it run smoothly i'd greatly appreciate it!
i'm mainly worried about bpm inaccuracies, but i'm really not very familiar with final scratch so i'm not sure what to expect.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

ah thats too bad. i was hoping that if they took the time to implement a midi clock out in the software that the bpm counter would actually work well, too much to ask I guess :)

i'm sure we'll be able to mix the two together by ear, i used to do lots of 2x4s with vinyl back in the day so that should work fine. plus we're playing in a bar so everyone will be wasted anyways :)

thanks brianc for reposting that info!
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

no problem, i just wish it could have been better news for you. traktor/fs+ableton working well together is something i've wanted for a long time.
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

I've planned to buy FS2 just for midi out fuction.
but the thing changes here...
sorry, but i have to be sure.
is there anyone who succesfully use fs2+ableton sync by routing traktor's tempo out to ableton midi in?
or
is there anyone who successfully use ableton's tap tempo key?
(for me, it works once every 238 times.)
is there anyone who sucessfuly use turntable with any kind of midi sequencer? if so, how?

i don't trust too much those bpm calculator stuff though...i've tried some, and it never worked out properly.

if there's no solution, i think i'll just use ms.pinky as ableton plug in with tap tempo key. it's cheaper...
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

I don't know of anyone who's successfully synced Traktor and Live successfully with MIDI. A lot of people have tried, but apparently the tempo that Traktor sends isn't reliable at all.

Tapping the tempo in Live to get them to sync has worked well for me in the past, especially if you set the tempo range in ableton to be nearer to the tempo you'll be playing at.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

I think redsound was supposed to come out with an audio to midi sync device this month: http://www.redsound.com/products/soundbitemicro ...the best way to do it is to set the midi bpm within 10 beats on abelton and sync a midi fader to the tempo of abelton and beat match away...
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

thanks for answers!

i will partice this tap tempo key as i've praticed on playin' ping pong in the past...
maybe i'll simply buy redsound box if i can get some infos froms the users on the web.

however, i didn't really understand what does "tempo range" means...
i tried to set the bpm range in ableton between 118-133, but there's no option to do that. how can i "set" the tempo range??