Minimal Progressive Artists List?

tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

thats my bad...
we should be discussing and not ripping down each other. I apologize.
it is funny steve reich, la monte young + co never thought of themselves as minimalist... but we think of them as such. (well the critics told us to) This is clearly becasue we feel the need to make sense of the music we are hearing and somehow organize it in such a way. this is what critics do...and this is their job...they see the patterns that come up in musical trends and report them to us.

to a certain extent it is important to create these distinctions, imagine what buying records would be like if there weren't these genre distinctions if everything was just filed under "music", it would be a total mess, it would take hours to find one record.
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

532nm wrote: it's the thinking mans techno.
:?

someone on the hyperreal mailing list once coined the term SDM....
thats what i'm a part of...SDM

stupid dance music.

the best techno tracks don't make me think. they make me feel that i just lost my mind. as a matter of fact i tell people this is the trick into understanding the aesthetics of this sound. imagine yourself having just lost your mind. and this is the soundtrack to it.

so i guess it is thinking...but it's foaming at the mouth raving madd kinda thinking.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

imagine yourself having just lost your mind. and this is the soundtrack to it.
Audion is like that for me. Sort of makes me want to grab my head and run around screaming, but in the best possible way.
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

dsat wrote:if people want to use terms like progressive, fine by me
i still think it's silly, i'd rather use trance, because it's semantically closer
repetition is linked with trance, it makes more sense to me
That's what progressive is dude, trance but in house music. So instead of saying trance house, you say progressive house :wink:
v.s-yogi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by v.s-yogi »

Minimalist music is a genre of experimental music named in the 1960s which displays some or all of the following features:

emphasis on consonant harmony, if not functional tonality;
reiteration of musical phrases or smaller units such as figures, motifs, and cells, with subtle, gradual, and/or infrequent variation (no musical development) over long periods of time, possibly limited to simple repetition;
stasis, often in the form of drones, pulses, and/or long tones.
The term minimalist music is derived from the concept of minimalism, which was earlier applied to the visual arts. Previously the terms process music or systems music were used, particularly for music constructed using fairly strict rules wiki.org

i'm just reading. lost in a endless discussion. i just think theres no standard on how music is made. its evolution and revolution. its creativity all togather and @ this time with so many diferent genres is hard to categorize!
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

v.s-yogi wrote:Minimalist music is a genre of experimental music named in the 1960s which displays some or all of the following features
the funny thing is, it seems as if minimal techno has very little to do with "minimalism" of the past. Minimal now refers to a striped down, less elements, skeletal like sound.
if we were to use the standards of the 1960's to look at the minimal sound now, all repetitive electronic music (even hard house, drum n bass) would be minimal.

music for 18 musicians (steve reich) is "minimal" because of the constant repetition and its gradual change... but it is by no way striped down and simple like say a dan bell track. As a matter of fact it is very "maximal" in terms of the amount of sound and instruments going on at once.
Harm Rhebergen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harm Rhebergen »

Psssssssst, it's Ion LudWig... :wink:
*I support southern fruits*
butane
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by butane »

thanks cyhl for showing me this!!

guys listen -- I was playing at Watergate in Berlin a few months ago, and this really hot girl came up to me in the DJ booth. She beckoned for me to come closer, and she put her hand on my should and whispered in my ear, "do you have any minimal progressive?". I said, "oh hell yeah baby" - so I went over to my laptop and typed Ion Ludwig into my Final Scratch and dropped the A-side of Alphahouse 04. It was unreleased at the time, so nobody knew what hit 'em. The girl was dancing up a storm in the middle of the floor, and when my set was over she grabbed me and told me it was one of the most amazing moments of her life. We exchanged email addresses and next time I'm in Berlin I'm going to take her out for a fried chicken dinner.

Minimal progressive guys get all the chicks.