New to ableton! Mac and PC /USB - Firewire

- ask away
bradkeenan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

New to ableton! Mac and PC /USB - Firewire

Post by bradkeenan »

Hey eveyone. I am new to ableton and have been using the keyboard to switch on/off functions etc.

I borrowed a friends midi mixer that ran streight into the usb 2 hub on my pc. the midi fuctions on the program seemed to be a little behind my hands on action with the mixer. does anyone know why this is? is it down to the USB Speed and would it benefit me to get a firewire port on my PC.

If anyone has any suggestions on hardware i would be interested to hear.

Cheers Guys
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

Check you latency in the Options/Preferences... can't quite remember what it's called off the top of my head, will have to get to the studio. Sure someone else will remember.

Basically the lower the latency the more processing it uses, so it's often a tradeoff. Get it tight if you got plenty of grunt on your computer, you'll feel the bite if you're running it close to the limit witi a low latency tho, so you might have to adjust it sometimes. I'm pretty sure there's a proper explanation in the help.
r.i.

let the music talk
Style
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Style »

USB 2.0 is actually superior to firewire from an article I read. I was going to say it might be an asio or soundcard issue, but if one device works fine, then it most likely wouldn't be a driver issue.
Tek23
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tek23 »

nah all latency, as ri said.

latency is the number of samples your cpu processes per cycle

so a low latency like 128 samples your computer will respon fater to input
but a big latency setting like 2048 samples your computer will handle a bigger load, but will respond slower to input

prefrences>audio> buffer size