Dj Bone interview (bring some hate)

- open
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Deepchord is from detroit. They're the best thing to happen to techno ever, in my opinion.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

Phase Ghost wrote:Deepchord is from detroit. They're the best thing to happen to techno ever, in my opinion.
that's going a little far...

they're good, but i wouldn't say the greatest thing ever. they're watering themselves down with throwing out a release a week and hammering remixes of themselves down peoples throats. it was way more interesting when it was a techno nerd club and one release came out a year or so, and they were hard to find.

dub records on beatport is really comical to me.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Aside from techno, Jack White is from Detroit and hes a great example of using old school sound, blending it with the new and innovating to the fullest. He's one of the best examples of minimalism. Proving that u dont need a lot of diff equipment, instruments and gadgets and do-hickeys to get a huge and warm sound. Its about what u do, not what u do it with... or something like that.

To Shepherd:
As for hip-hop, u hear more and more techno (or EDM) influenced sound. Especially with the southern producers & rappers. I think Lil wayne (yes I said it) and his producers have churned out quite a few innovative tracks. The productions and beats are def. sick, but its his lyrics, style and delivery that amazes me (and I'm not talking about his pop-commercial garbage, I'm talking about the real sh!t that they dont play on the radio or mtv). The mothafucka quotes Voltaire for fucks sake, among other things. . And I hate most new hip-hop and R&B that comes out (with that auto-tune sh!t), but I gots to give it where its due.
Here check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtk7XzKBIfw
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

patrick bateman wrote:
PsyTox wrote:Funny that everytime something involving detroit ends in a discussion type "you are not real", "no, YOU are not real" and "my dog's better than your dog" type of sht. Why people keep talking about detroit while they have been surpassed twenty years ago is beyond me... they still desperately want to keep the fame intact but I truely can't hear what innovations are still coming from there. It's a bit like the retro-parties going on in Belgium: endless recycling of a glorious era while failing to see that those days are gone and they are now ten years behind. Nostalgia is a bitch.
x2
x3

If some people around here wonder what is wrong with minimal these days, they could start by looking in the mirror and at some of these threads. There has always wackness in any scene, but it still used to be a bit more fun and positive...now there's a few too many bitter, cocky people who would rather be divisive and protect their turf. If I read one more bitter interview with some Detroit producer, I'm going to hurl.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

[quote="Anonym

I ain't from the 20 years ago, or am I nostalgia. I am here and now and "I come from Detroit" and if you don't hear my music or my innovations you are in the dark my friend(not to mention the many new producers from Detroit)... And yes the old school bitter bullshit needs to go.. But dudes from the EU need to stop using Motorcity in their artist or band names if they are not from Detroit that is exploitation and nothing else. Be who you are and where your from, or be anonymous....[/quote]

i wouldn't call it exploitation, as there isn't much money to be made anyway in this...

there's a difference between mentioning motorcity because you're simply influenced by those sounds and using detroit to make a few bucks

but sure, using "detroit" or "motorcity" in your artist name or even label name seems a silly thing to do...

i do tend to call some of my music detroit-ish as i'm highly influenced by that sound (but of course i'm also influenced by early chicago house, UK techno, idm and so much more)... but it would seem silly to hide your influences just because you're not from detroit (or any other city)

and there are so many artists out there now who are not from detroit, but are clearly influenced by its music, and who actually took techno much further than anything that came from detroit in the first place... and ended up influencing artists from detroit... so it's a two-way street, which i think is quite interesting really, i'm not so sure if detroit old skoolers realize that...

as to innovation... i don't hear much innovation, i'm hearing old skool influences updated with today's sounds... the last real innovations for me was things like Autechre and the jungle, drum'n'bass, 2-step thing from the UK

i don't look for innovation anymore, i look for personality and integrity in music and those seem harder and harder to find these days
but what's very easy to find is people shitting on other people... oh yeah
plenty of those!
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Torque wrote:
mlexicon wrote:why did they trade billups?. thats all i want to know.

:(
I would like to know that too :(
I was like WTF?!
Stucky is going to be the man! that's why.

Signing Brown and Wilcox that's the big WTF.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i try to think what kind of music lover would really care if an artist which is called motorcity come from detroit or somewhere else. i dont know any, but maybe thats because im no detroit citzien.

motorcity is not from detroit so what?

its only a artist name, he surly dont want to deceive people in any way, and i also dont see how he could possibly do that only by his name. In the end no one buy records cause the name sound like detroit.

so what harm is done ?

its like you think everyone want to live in detroit, or anyone is such a great fan of your city that he would just buys anything with "detroit" in the name, so you have to protect this poor people from fraud.

i could understand, if it would help a artist in any way that he is from detroit but i dont think that ..

i dont want to insult anyone, respect for all artists whereever they come from but pls stop making such a fuss about the city its really annoying
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

Themis wrote:motorcity is not from detroit so what?

its only a artist name, he surly dont want to deceive people in any way, and i also dont see how he could possibly do that only by his name.
up until very recently, his myspace page listed him as being from detroit. his entire myspace is also just SLAMMED with detroit imagery, such as old flyers for raves that happened in the 90's, pictures of the buildings, and tons of other stuff.

he's trying to deceive people, or at least dupe them.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier