What gives the housey feeling?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Martian Telecom wrote:
I don't know where you heard that from but almost nobody even back in the day had money to hire an engineer or rent studio time, at least not in Detroit. The only ones that had money for that stuff was the New York guys.
a. Juan's interview on Bleep43 where he talks about bringing all his gear into a studio and tracking No UFOs/Night Drive. He said that it sounded different than it did at home because he had to make patch adjustments in order to make the mix work in the studio.

b. Mike Banks met Jeff Mills when he was working as a session musician in a commercial studio for a Final Cut gig.

c. Ade Mainor was also a studio musician in the late 80's/early 90's. His specialty was rerecording tracks so that people could sample the rerecordings and dodge paying the sample fee.

d. Kevin Saunderson discussing producing records in England in commercial studios in Music Technology Magazine circa 1989.

Detroit might have had a tighter economy, but a sh!t ton of classic Chicago records were tracked in Sea Grape Studios and Universal Studios. If you dig through interviews, you will see it mentioned all the time.

I am not trying to start a big fight or say that nobody made records in their bedroom. I am just pointing out that a lot of people would like you to think that they made classic records on a boombox and casio when there was a lot more traditional infrastructure than they admit to.
you obvious know your facts here, but what i was trying to say was that you are talking about a small minority of artists when compared to the hundreds of thousands af people working from home studios in the early ninetees. we cant just name a few of the top artists who had the resources, and ignore the others who made equally good music.
i think theres a distorted view of that period with everyone focussing on a few icons, when in reality without everyone else there would have been no scene whatsoever.
it was an explosion back then, everyone was putting down their guitars and buying synths and drum machines and banging out vinyl like there was no tomorrow.

this bedroom producer = bedroom music thing is a myth.
you couldnt just skank a copy of ableton, rip off some loops, throw together an unimaginative cloned tune and have it out on beatport a week later. you had to be a dedicated musician who had gathered the equipment and knowledge and put in your own money to go through the long process of releasing vinyl and actually getting it in the shops.
much of the music back then was awesome and original whether it was made in a bedroom or a tracked in a pro studio.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

silence.
Last edited by Martian Telecom on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

silence.
Last edited by Martian Telecom on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Martian Telecom wrote:The difference between those times is like the difference between a Tascam cassette 4 track and an 8 track Alesis ADAT. There is a whole world of difference there.
haha you're right there bro.
i was making electrofunk in 1983 on a Studiomaster metal casette 4 track, which was way better than a tascam, but the quality still wasnt good enough to compete with the stuff coming out of pro studios.

it was a different world at the end of the decade because you also had the DAT machine being introduced, and it wasnt difficult to get good quality recordings down to 2 track if you had a decent mixing desk, then let the cutting engineer sort out your eq and dynamics. i think the DAT was probably responsible for the DIY revolution.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Martian Telecom wrote: a. Juan's interview on Bleep43 where he talks about bringing all his gear into a studio and tracking No UFOs/Night Drive. He said that it sounded different than it did at home because he had to make patch adjustments in order to make the mix work in the studio.

b. Mike Banks met Jeff Mills when he was working as a session musician in a commercial studio for a Final Cut gig.

c. Ade Mainor was also a studio musician in the late 80's/early 90's. His specialty was rerecording tracks so that people could sample the rerecordings and dodge paying the sample fee.

d. Kevin Saunderson discussing producing records in England in commercial studios in Music Technology Magazine circa 1989.

Detroit might have had a tighter economy, but a sh!t ton of classic Chicago records were tracked in Sea Grape Studios and Universal Studios. If you dig through interviews, you will see it mentioned all the time.

I am not trying to start a big fight or say that nobody made records in their bedroom. I am just pointing out that a lot of people would like you to think that they made classic records on a boombox and casio when there was a lot more traditional infrastructure than they admit to.
Maybe Juan And Kevin did.
Mike and Jeff both came from working in bigger studios but they didn't cut the UR stuff in big major studios with an engineer. Ade never needed an engineer for any of the Electrofunk stuff because he has better ears than most engineers already anyways. It's true that allot of them had experience in the bigger studios but once they figured out how to do it at home for less money they ran with that idea and still do. None of them use an engineer now except for maybe Kevin.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

silence.
Last edited by Martian Telecom on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Martian Telecom wrote: Mike and Jeff both came from working in bigger studios but they didn't cut the UR stuff in big major studios with an engineer.

Where was that stuff recorded? When did Submerge move into 2030 Grand River?

I know Juan had Metroplex studio located in 2030 for awhile, do you know when it was?
Mike tells me that they worked on allot of early stuff in Jeff Mills parents basement. As for Juan i'm not sure. I would ask Mike but he's on the road with Carl right now.

As for the tutorial thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I think what's wrong with music is too many people releasing tracks before they're ready to.
aciduss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by aciduss »

Sorry bros, busy week for me... never though i'd unleash all of these comments but i find this very enlighting and entertaining.

I'm young and don't know much of what you talk about, guess i'll have to do my homework; research and go on with experimenting and creating music because eventho i'm a beginner i have passion for creating, in this case music (i'm also a designer and a writer).

I have now a much clear idea about the house-techno relationship, thank you all. Very good posts and material inside this thread that i really appreciate.

Have a nice weekend.