Recession hitting clubs

- open
fornogoodreason
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fornogoodreason »

tone-def wrote:i always thought psytrance was nonexistent in the UK until i went to a psytrance rave. that was bigger than any techno party i have ever been to. it was in northwest London, which is completely the wrong side of the city.
this is true. i hear of massive psytrance parties/raves every now and again.

don't even see much promotion for trance in dj magazine but in the UK it is MASSIVE.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

fornogoodreason wrote:
tone-def wrote:i always thought psytrance was nonexistent in the UK until i went to a psytrance rave. that was bigger than any techno party i have ever been to. it was in northwest London, which is completely the wrong side of the city.
this is true. i hear of massive psytrance parties/raves every now and again.

don't even see much promotion for trance in dj magazine but in the UK it is MASSIVE.
yes, psytrance parties are much bigger and have a lot more organisation put into them than techno parties in the uk. quite impressive really. this is partly down to the fact that the people behind the music and the events are usually very well-off financially (so too the majority of the punters). it's their rebellion, it stays underground (for obvious reasons) and has no lack of funds.
Harlesden
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harlesden »

the things in DJ mag are not always what they seem.
whereabouts in NW London?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Harlesden wrote:

it was in Wembley, near stonebridge park tube station.
Utopian82
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Utopian82 »

I guess something is changing in the scene if they're playing psytrance in Wembley!! Sounds good though...how was the atmosphere?? :)
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

tone-def wrote:
Harlesden wrote:

it was in Wembley, near stonebridge park tube station.
I always thought psytrance was big in UK though. I mean, with Spiral Tribe and their heritage it should be big there...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Utopian82 wrote:I guess something is changing in the scene if they're playing psytrance in Wembley!! Sounds good though...how was the atmosphere?? :)
it was a weird atmosphere, whoever put on the party went way over the top with the decor! lots of bright yellow, orange and pink spikes and pictures of fairies. it was the tackiest thing i'd seen in my life. there were lots of people who i wouldn't want to be friends with. it's not that they were horrible people but i just thought they were a bunch of dicks. the music seemed to be more of a secondary thing. good job a had a bag of goodies to get lost in -smurf

although psytrance is big in the UK you wont see it in the dance music mags that often.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

infernal.techno wrote: that aside, your opinion of hardcore dance music not being popular in the US is your opinion. i've had friends who played that when they got into dance music and ended up traveling to other states to play in front of 1000s. this was around 98-99 when they were traveling the most to play breakcore. i still see fliers for shows with tons of hardcore djs that bring in lots of people.

you're right, it is a bit of a subjective topic. opinions of popularity are just that. so, if a couple thousand people at some mega rave of only hardcore djs in cleveland, ohio in 1998 doesn't at least hint at some sort of popularity for that type of music at that time, what is your definition of "popular"?
i guess popular in the sense popular enough to bubble up at least more than just a blurb in the mainstream conciousness.

when the average clubber saw plastikman's black and white music video on mtv back then, most assumed it was just another guy that makes tracks you hear house/trance djs play in megaclubs. to me it sounded like filler in a djset, a tool. never would i have guessed 10+ years later people would be spinning entire sets of music in that vein and that it would be the most popular style of house music.

minimal styled music as of last year was definitely more in the general public awareness than it was in the early 90's.

the next main cool hip thing to do will be disco house, but the principles of minimal house are still there - ultra repetitive, deep, light on the vocals, millions of similiar sounding tracks on "the net". and it will fall the same fate probably.

im waiting for 80's heavy metal hair band house. you can't deny david lee roth fukn rocked, that's just a fact. when we finally get to that point in style of house music that's when ill make my debut break out on the scene so watch out.