The Age Old Question...

- open
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

::BLM:: wrote:I have played some 128's out before and they sounded fine. It all depends I guess on the final mixdown of the tune.
but why??? -urk ...

i only buy .wavs and vinyl ...sound quality matters
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

b-ran wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:I have played some 128's out before and they sounded fine. It all depends I guess on the final mixdown of the tune.
but why??? -urk ...

i only buy .wavs and vinyl ...sound quality matters
Because that's all I had. I play 90% vinyl, but I really wanted to play this track out and I only had a 128 copy.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

miniKAT wrote:
cloutier wrote:
miniKAT wrote:I'm just having a hard time with some of u guys saying that if u have a sick track and its 192, u wont play it. That its THAT noticeable.

Its fcking with me cause I have quite a few tracks that are 192, that I like and think are banging, and some of u are saying that if i play them I will be laughed out, shunned from the club or party and basically be relegated to the dregs of society.
lets not go that far...

192's don't have as much bottom end, and they're compressed and flat sounding. sure, on 50% of the sound systems out there, you won't notice sht, but break in to that 1/2 of the places that actually don't sound like complete sht, and yes, you will notice it.

will someone call you on it? that's a whole different question.
Well. guess I'll take my chances. I've noticed some records have worse quality sound than low ecoded MP3's. Some of Mills records are especially shitty quality. I have a really sick Dj skull track, but the quality of teh recording is sht. Quite a few of the 90's records have sub-par quality. I hear it bad quality recordings in Dj sets, but if the DJ is working it, and doing thing and sounding goods, I prob. wouldnt even notice. On the other hand if u suck or even if u dont suck but are just not doing anything but mixing from one record to another in a monotonous fashion, then I think it would def. be noticed. Just my Humble
haha yes, that is actually very true, especially a lot of the old US records sounds like fucking sh!t, so you could play a 192 or even lower and it would sound better :lol:
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

trax records from like 1988 - 1996 sounded like garbage. they recycled vinyl, and never mastered sh!t properly, so they all sounded like total crap.

hell, one of mine actually has a piece of paper sticking out of the middle of the record from the recycling. someone definitely forgot to take the spindle art off of that one.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

cloutier wrote:trax records from like 1988 - 1996 sounded like garbage. they recycled vinyl, and never mastered sht properly, so they all sounded like total crap.

hell, one of mine actually has a piece of paper sticking out of the middle of the record from the recycling. someone definitely forgot to take the spindle art off of that one.
Some are actually recordings, like one example that has always stood out to me is the extremist by Mills. One of the greatest records, but its really bad quality recording. I thought sometimes maybe its meant to be like this, but I think its just a bad recording, and its on Tresor, or at least the one that I got.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i'd venture to guess that mills produces exactly the way he dj's...

hard, very fast, and in the red the entire time.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

I guess, but he has records that are fine and sound good.

On that one it just sounds like, compressed or something, dont know if thats the right word for records, especially on the hi's. Like u said its on a few older records of various labels and DJs, which makes it hard to mix them with todays tracks, which is something I like to do, sometimes.

Speaking of sound quality, I sold my zero4 and got xone 4d, and am a very happy camper, huuuuge difference.
Van Hagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Van Hagen »

cloutier wrote:trax records from like 1988 - 1996 sounded like garbage. they recycled vinyl, and never mastered sht properly, so they all sounded like total crap.

hehe, funny... I have a clear Baby Pop record on Relief from Chicago and was always wondering what those little paper-like white spots in the vinyl were :-) Now I know...
cloutier wrote:i'd venture to guess that mills produces exactly the way he dj's...

hard, very fast, and in the red the entire time.
Hmm, I remember an interview I read with him back in the 90's where he was chatting about how pedantic he is with the whole mastering and pressing process. Maybe it really depends on where he released his stuff. Purpose Maker stuff on Axis from that period for example sounds super nice imo...