mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

damn debug double post sorry...
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

I am not even registered at beatport, but i do not see a problem with their practices.

There are other avenues to get music out there. Period. If people with good music thatz others wanted to buy decided not to put their stuff up on beatport and go with someone else, it would eventually shift the market.

If they let everyone and everything get uploaded, there would be louder cries of the selection being watered down. If everyone and their mom did not start a label because they couldn't get their music out on another, this would not be such a problem.

If top level djs are not shopping elsewhere, and you cannot get your music heard, do it the old school way and give them the music. If it is good, they will play it and anyone also wanting to buy it will simply not find it on beatport.
freeeeeee
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

Thanks everyone for your reply. It's nice to see lots of opinions come out, not to mention some 'statistics' which at least gave me a general idea of whats going on. I've only recently started getting into Beatport. Part of the reason was an increased interest in minimal music recently, and I found beatport to be there for me.
I'm relatively new to the minimal genre, I come from a trance and electro background and only about a year ago did I start REALLY appreciating minimal. Having such a big love of the genre I now produce it as well with aspirations of getting signed to at least a half decent label and having releases on beatport.

Money would be nice of course, I don't do this for the money, but in terms of income, it would be nice if, ideally having a song released on a few sites through a label would generate enough money so I could buy myself the odd bit of musical gear, ie. new plugins, monitors, upgrade pc, etc.
loki
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loki »

Isn't Myspace going to be letting artists sell their own tracks for download at some point?

Pretty much every artist already has tracks on their page, so for a premium, Myspace could allocate more space so you could have your whole back catalogue available for sale/download.

I would love that setup, screw the middlemen like beatport!

:D
I don't believe anything
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

loki wrote:Isn't Myspace going to be letting artists sell their own tracks for download at some point?

Pretty much every artist already has tracks on their page, so for a premium, Myspace could allocate more space so you could have your whole back catalogue available for sale/download.

Good idea, but you think myspace / whoever will do that for free?
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

aut.t.n wrote:
loki wrote:Isn't Myspace going to be letting artists sell their own tracks for download at some point?

Good idea, but you think myspace / whoever will do that for free?
Myspace compress the music to 96kbps. but they could easily if they cancel that.
Go For What you Know
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Go For What you Know »

I can tell you that to get Top 20 on the minimal Chart you need to sell average 35 tracks in the first week.

To enter in the top 100 techhouse / techno you need to sell average 60 tracks in the first week.
Go for what you know Girl. Go For what you know.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Go For What you Know wrote:I can tell you that to get Top 20 on the minimal Chart you need to sell average 35 tracks in the first week.

To enter in the top 100 techhouse / techno you need to sell average 60 tracks in the first week.
Well, that is for sure NOT true... :roll: