hardware only producers?

- ask away
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

minimal house wrote:Jake Fairly does indeed use hardware, but ive seen him use both.

I know that the Jambi set on Textone is an all gear live pa.
what about you? i've seen some pics of your live pas and there is a lot of gear. any laptops in there?
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

^^nope
Jose Cabrera
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jose Cabrera »

marc houle uses hardware to produce
Cotumo
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Cotumo »

fredrik_h wrote:sorry, I have to go off-topic a bit:
cotumo: what is he up to these days? love his stuff on substatic...
He still lives in south germany, studies and spins vinyl. But actually he's not producing. It's a real pitty cuz I love his releases too.

Maybe I can convince him some day to reactivate his producing skills :wink:

btw: he's a very kind guy!
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

yeah but mathew jonson and marc houle process all their sh!t with computers.

now prototype 909 is a live mothafunkin pa!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm a hardware producer.
i mostly use analogue gear, TR909, 2x SH101's, Andromeda A6, Sherman Filterbank, Moogerfooger, TB303, Korg Delta, 301 spaceecho, analogue EQ's / compressors and effects. Soundcraft Ghost desk,and virtual analogs-Nord lead, Nord 3, Access Virus B,
if you've never used hardware before, it's total liberation !! it's not much different really apart from the fact that instead of pictures of equipment on a screen, it's real and three dimensional, and because you've got so many knobs, ( a knob for every job ) it's instant tweaking, no patching up.
i always record everything live, its very spontaineous.
some of my friends who were laptop based musicians using ableton and reaktor, are now switching to hardware, because they can see the advantages.
Some people would argue that theres things you can do with software that cant be done with hardware, but you'd be supprised what you can achieve with complex multiple analogue pathways.
At the moment I use ableton for gigging out, otherwise i'd have to carry my studio with me, which i used to do up till a few years ago, but now i'm working on a trimmed down compact analogue gigging system, which will make life easier.
analogue sounds so much better !!!! i find Ableton sounds thin, grainy and weedy in comparison, but no doubt it will keep getting better.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

i think/hope we will see a resurgence in live performance, i too would like to put together a compact p.a., maybe a circuit bent 606, a yahama cs-5, a cheap digital synth, some effects, and a xone mixer. now thats a tight rig.
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

Really trying to set up a hardware based studio/hobby corner, but hardware can be quite expensive and it takes up a lot of space. However, I enjoy hardware a lot more than software, and that's what it's all about I think. That, and the type of sound you want, software sounds clean but maybe that's exactly what you want, analog hardware is often a little unpredictable which can be great too.