What should I go with guys? Help me out please

- ask away
RIP Slim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RIP Slim »

Alright, lemme try out some demo's and see if that helps. Maybe I can get a rough idea of what i'm looking for that way. But I still don't know what soundcard would fit best with what I wanna do. Any help there? Nothing crazy expensive, just something to record my sets with and produce with(software only, no recording vocals n' stuff like that) Is the M-audio 2496 good enough? I hear its popular but isn't there alot of problems with them...mostly related to latency? I'm probably wanting an internal one too.
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

people are going to tell you a million different things. i think what harass said is most true.
use your soundblaster right now. untill you need something else (more outputs more inputs) you don't need to change it. this is as long as it supports ASIO.

go to the native instruments site and look up what "komplete" is.
komplete is a collection of their most popular software which includes both reaktor and battery and a bunch of other synths.
unless you have money to burn...i say don't buy anything untill you actually know what you are going to do with it, and what you need it for.
i think fl studio is fine...what you need isn't a new sequencer but new pluggins like Native instruments synths.
Seuil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Seuil »

Hey...

You should take LIVE 55555555!!!! it's great for sequencing!!!
Especially if you are a begginer it's quite simple!!
And Reaktor 5 is fucking great!!!!for all basses, synts, blips, .....
For the rythm BAttery is very cool but the BAR of Live is Great too!!!!
And in the future, you can buy a good real BAR!!!!!!
Pro Tools is not necessary, I think so!!, It's a graet soft but it's quite hard to get in hands , and quite expensive, If you have a Mac you should take PEAK 5, great for post production, very simple...;
A friend bought the Komplete 2!!!! All the soft are really cool, but with Reaktor 5 is the one!!!!!

Dont forget with LIVE 5- ReaktoR5- Many SAMPLES- And perhaps a BAR,
you can do really good job!!!!!!
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

Hey RIP Slim,

sorry that this turned out to be some kind of essay but here are a few more considerations about:

N.I. Komplete

i think you won't miss much about Komplete 3. Yes, Battery is definitely a great tool but Ableton Live for example has similar capabilities built in. Komplete is really a perfect bundle for beginners, it includes workhorses as well as provides room for experiments. Nothing to go wrong with. Mind you, if you're going to miss something lateron, there's still a huge amount of free and damn good plugins out there.

-

Hosts

I personally think Ableton is a great tool but not so well considered on the arrangement part. Cubase SX is dope as well then again very complex. You should really get that free Live lite from ableton.com and see wether it suits your needs. You definitely won't be able to forsee if a tool really lives up to YOUR OWN way of working until you've TRIED it.

There's also a third host absolutely worth mentioning, EnergyXT. Unlike SX and Live it offers a modular studio approach. It features "traditional" sequencing and arrangement like SX alongside a number of other ways. Last not least it's highly configurable, versatile, lightweight and doesn't cost very much. Can be used as VST plugin in other hosts as well. Fully functional demo available: http://www.xt-hq.com

-

Soundcards

I regard Creative Labs as a company aiming at the gamer market developing "sound devices". You want a real soundcard tho. If you'll spend 1500€ on software already and come up with a soundblaster or anything creative i'll come around and kick your nuts for real :D

Seriously, Creatives A/D converters are really bad and sound like crap. It may have improved a bit over the years but it's yet nowhere close to M-Audio or even RME products. Same for the drivers.

IF money doesn't matter go for an RME Hammerfall card of your choice. They offer the most stable, compatible and best performing drivers on the market while employing insanely good A/D converters. Their Digicheck metering/analysing suite is off the hook and doesn't consume cpu because it runs on the cards own DSP. Since Hammerfall cards are also connectable via PCMCIA they're mobile as well. What breakout box may suit for you depends on your I/O needs. Multiface has 8 Mono ins and outs, the RPM 2 of both while offering state-of-the-art phono preamps. Handy for recording Vinyls.

You won't miss much in terms of A/D converters and drivers with M-Audio cards compared with RMEs. The Audiophile is a good choice for music production, if you also plan to use it for DJ'ing the I/O situation may be insufficient. However, there are enough cards in M-Audio's broad product range, you'll be able to find one to fit your needs. What's missing in M-Audio cards are the extensive internal routing capabilities and a metering/analysis solution.

I've been working with cards from M-Audio and RME already (currently with the RPM), they're almost equally good devices soundwise. Last not least the moneybag and target applications have to be considered for making a choice.

-

PC configuration

You didn't say much about the PC you wanna use for music production, however there are some things to take into credit. Make sure to get a solid motherboard for your system. Some motherboard chipsets have serious issues with several configurations and it'll be almost impossible to get reasonably low latencies even with high class sound cards. I'm not sure if you want to buy a new PC or have one already but it may be clever to look on that configuration as well once you made up your mind about the audio device. It makes sense to look a bit ahead and see if your system would also be compatible with DSP cards such as UAD-1, Powercore etc.

Eh ok, i have to work now.

And don't forget, host wise it's always good & necessary to try before buy. You can easily spend lots of money on stuff, however selling software licenses isn't as easy as buying them.

Ronny
RIP Slim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RIP Slim »

Alright I'll keep looking into all these things, and thanks. Really a big help, more so here than any other forums. And Ronny as far as a PC, I got a powerful Alienware laptop I'm using for now. I'll prolly get a Dell desktop with all the options maxed out on it too, just something cheap to use as a "base of operations" I guess. Store stuff, work from at home, and what not. I know Dell's dont have the best parts but it should get me by till I get a MAC desktop which is where I might be headed if I get anymore viruses.
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

Inspiron's are fine tho, still have an 8200 which runs and runs... Not using it for anything music these days - but they're definitely good.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

harass wrote:it doesn't matter what you use or what you have, just get your hands on anything and start, in a few years time you'll be in a different state of mind
I soooo agree with that!!!

Make music, catalogue and archive your sounds and upgrade when (if) needed.
RIP Slim wrote: ..till I get a MAC desktop which is where I might be headed if I get anymore viruses.
Be serious and DO NOT connect to anything with your DAW. Ever. In fact, disable all networking on it. A DAW is like a guitar: not meant for surfing the web. Just don't do it. Eliminate the risk.
RIP Slim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RIP Slim »

thom wrote:
RIP Slim wrote: ..till I get a MAC desktop which is where I might be headed if I get anymore viruses.
Be serious and DO NOT connect to anything with your DAW. Ever. In fact, disable all networking on it. A DAW is like a guitar: not meant for surfing the web. Just don't do it. Eliminate the risk.
Yeah I hear that, I haven't got online with my Alienware yet and it runs like a champ so far. I'd like to get a Mac for stability reasons too. I notice when I run Serato for an hour or so....it starts to get burning hot and it just feels like its gonna crash any second. I don't want that feeling on stage...hasn't crashed yet but I'm sure the time will come during a long set.