volume question

- ask away
Tom Dazing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Tom Dazing »

Torque wrote:here's another tip just incase your ears aren't trained yet:

Once you've mixed it down and brought it up to standard rms loudness play the track and watch the VU meter and how it acts. The VU meter should be jumping from at least -9db to 0db or even more dramaticly. If it's not jumping at least that far then you have killed the dynamics because your mixdown or eq is bad. Use this to train your ears. After a while it will start to come natural.
this seems to be quite in order, i even have peak drops to -18db , but in most cases it has around a -12db up to 0db jump.

'killed dynamics' is that just another way of saying the sound engineer won't be able to do anything good with it in the masterstudio's?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Tom Dazing wrote: 'killed dynamics' is that just another way of saying the sound engineer won't be able to do anything good with it in the masterstudio's?
Not exactly.
What an engineer does is alot different from what goes on at a mastering studio. An unmastered track should have dynamics if it is engineered well by whomever is mixing it down. What i gave is just a way to check if it really is engineered well assuming that it already sounds good and full to your ears. No mastering professional is a miracle worker, he can not eq a frequency if it does not exist in your track.
TAMPOPO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TAMPOPO »

Thanx Torque for all your very precious advices.
This is quite generous from you to explain a part of your knowledge.
Respect!
Tampopo Hiri Hiri !!!
The Noodleworld is rocking on chili...
Tom Dazing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Tom Dazing »

idd, thank you for sharing :wink:
Frank Booth
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Frank Booth »

hi there!

i have a question quite similar to Tom's except that i want to equal the volume of already mastered tracks. I need that for making a mixtape of some tunes. I'm using Ableton's volume automation which requires alot of fiddling but i'm getting OK results with it. nonetheless it's always kinda "live" sounding. How do you guys achieve that smooth, finished sound? Thought about bringing all the tunes to -10 rms (using Waves L2) before i start to mix them, but then again this would definitely bring down the soundquality of the tracks, wouldn't it?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

edit: dual post
Last edited by fredrik_h on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeee veeeeeeeeeeeeelveeeeeeeeeeet...
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

Torque wrote:i won't give away all mastering secrets
Why? :D

I have a question too. Sometimes when I mix, two tracks are at the same level on the VU-meters, but one of them sounds MUCH louder. Torque (or anybody else), can you explain this? Is this related to this mysterious RMS power? What are the parameters to calculate this value?

Thank you!

(oh, and Frank's question is interesting too)
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.