Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

gusta wrote:Sometimes I don't understand the popularity of the latest 10? releases.
Imho, it's all the same and I think it's pretty boring.

Minus never has been one of my favourite labels but I miss the diversity from the releases like false "sink the ship", geometry, walk in the park orginal. I think like some of you said, too much on too little time.
agreed. Releases like those were actually more melodic rather than minimal and imo, those are the kind of releases that would make the label legendary.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

Regardless of whether or not you like the recent releases, look at all the comments just in these forums whenever a minus album gets announced--page after page of people excited to get ahold of it. And how many requests for tracklists by minus artists or for obviously-minus tracks have you seen? It's clear that the releases are connecting with a lot of people.

Minus is putting out nothing but quality as far as I'm concerned, but everyone responds to music differently. I don't think any of you that don't like it are crazy, you just have different tastes than those that do.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

brianc wrote:Regardless of whether or not you like the recent releases, look at all the comments just in these forums whenever a minus album gets announced--page after page of people excited to get ahold of it. And how many requests for tracklists by minus artists or for obviously-minus tracks have you seen? It's clear that the releases are connecting with a lot of people.

Minus is putting out nothing but quality as far as I'm concerned, but everyone responds to music differently. I don't think any of you that don't like it are crazy, you just have different tastes than those that do.
of course you're going to get that assumption judging by the voices on this site. They're the cattle being herded by Hawtin and co. One could go to Blackout Audio (another forum) and get the same treatment dealing with either Surgeon or Glenn Wilson. Somewhere on the outskirts are people who realize worshiping one sound is completely retarded.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote: ... They're the cattle being herded by Hawtin and co. ... . Somewhere on the outskirts are people who realize worshiping one sound is completely retarded.
Who's to say that the people that worship the sound don't do so because they genuinely like it? I could care less if 'minimal' wasn't the current in thing (in fact, I'd probably be happier), I know I'd still like what's coming out.

I can't speak much for things in Europe, but I think the scene in North America is to small to have a lot of people (although they do exist) that follow trends just because they're hot at the moment.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:
brianc wrote:Regardless of whether or not you like the recent releases, look at all the comments just in these forums whenever a minus album gets announced--page after page of people excited to get ahold of it. And how many requests for tracklists by minus artists or for obviously-minus tracks have you seen? It's clear that the releases are connecting with a lot of people.

of course you're going to get that assumption judging by the voices on this site. They're the cattle being herded by Hawtin and co. One could go to Blackout Audio (another forum) and get the same treatment dealing with either Surgeon or Glenn Wilson. Somewhere on the outskirts are people who realize worshiping one sound is completely retarded.
People who are into this music are individuals capable of independent thought. It's pretty bold to suggest that there's any "herding" going on. People like good music. Or they don't. Minus has been a staple for a lot of music fans and DJs for awhile and that's not going to change. Quality music, strong promotion and marketing... all that seems to be done very well. It eludes me why people always seem to target the successful with their 'issues'... but that happens with anything that gets attention. plus "free speech" and all that. Long live great music and all it's fans.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

i never buy or play minus tracks. dont get me wrong, theyve got some great records..but im into the less known labels and artists.
Seuil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Seuil »

I don't know if people who said that the minus release are boring had ever played this tracks on a big sound system, because I don't think they understand how this crew play with Sub Basses, Blips, Lfo, and american Big Beat, There is so much originality in each artist, for example Heatthrob who brings his touch , and just keeping the minus style
with bIg bass, strange Blips and Frequencies,.....
So you can just don't like the style, but tell that it's boring I think it's too much...,
Anyway for me with their artists , they bring in production, DJset, and Live Shows, the most exiting thing of the moment,...
Long Life to the M-NUS crew!!!, and go on the great Job!!!!!....
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I usually have to say it every other week. this site should be renamed to mnus.nl