Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

Post by lem »

AK wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote: I don't even see where you can switch between waveforms.

On the oscillators, it looks like you press in for saw and press out for square or vice-versa? Yeah, if there was a pulse wave there instead of the squares or 1 of the squares, that would have been cool, I guess maybe due to the original Taurus having saw and square?. Still, probably a solid little synth.

Is that a separate envelope for the filter section and can VCO 2 be tuned in semitones or is that cents? Man, if those 2 are available, I just got the 101 for a bit less money which doesn't feature either.
I just bought a slim phatty, it sounds ace. But the analogue sound is very modern. I am more used to vintage synths that sound a bit darker. I don't think your 101 is a bad purchase, maybe the two will compliment each other well?

I think for £450 it is a great buy. I could say about most products, it would be good if it had this..... But at the end of the day, with something like a moog, you know what IS on there will be brilliant.
I'm so blown over by the sound of the slim phatty, looking forward to my dirty weekend with her.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I wonder if it will be £450 over here. I could see it being higher as synth prices don't seem to relate to exchange rates.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'm not sure about the pricing over here. I just did a rough estimate assuming it would be somewhere in that range. I didn't post it as a potential purchase for me, it was just a general thing of interest but yeah, it would compliment the SH-101 in terms of sound.

No doubt it will pop up in something like Sound On Sound magazine soon enough along with a plethora of audio demos. Apart from a new MPC, I don't know what else has been featured at NAMM.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I think if it was £400 I would really consider it, but if it were to go the other way (£500) I would be thinking another phatty!!
Or I will just save up for a voyager...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

How would you compare this to the Phatty in terms of feature set? There must be a difference in sound or they're just covering old ground. ( I don't know anything really about the Phatty )
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Well I have only had the phatty since last night. So I haven't had time to look into each.
But I am sure it has PWM, and variable waveshapes. It also has a full adsr (doesn't look like the Taur does)....

I think the phatty is more feature rich. I would guess that the Taur is fine tuned for bass and from its size, i think its entering the market as a Dark energy/mono lancet contender.

Also a plus for the Taur is a pot for every function. The phatty only has four knobs, but the interface is designed really REALLY well.

I'm just in love with my phatty!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i dont want to dismiss the phatty, because i'm sure loads of people love them, but for an analogue synth i couldnt handle the lack of controls.
i think the minotaur is a step int the right direction for Moog, i would go for that over the phatty any day, but why oh why no pulse width control ? it would have opened it up for so many more timbres and made it a top quality synth.

if Bob had still been alive, i reckon it would have had one.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

When I was researching the phatty, I found loads of people that prefered the sound over the voyager. Some people even sold their voyagers -boom ????
I think the control has been implimented really well with the phatty. sh!t loads easier than I thought it was gonna be. There is a bright lit button for every function then the pot relates to that in a nord 3 stylee.
I bet if you used one you would be supprised..

There is also a much bigger range of tones available than on the surface. I think for the price I would exchange control for the depth of the phatty.