Ricardo Kick

- ask away
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Ricardo Kick

Post by NoAffiliation »

the kick in that ricardo track is taking the high frequenices on the kick and passing them through a changing .ms delay giving it alot of width.

that kick is also extremely dynamic, constantly changing volumes and timbre. deffo not just a static boom boom boom ;)

also, without my sub on there is almost no perceivable low end on my monitors, its all thump in the 80-150 range
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

NoAffiliation, please explain. It didn't sound especially wide to me in the high freqs (only place that would make sense anyway).
Measuremnts confirmed there is SOME stereo going on above 1000 Hz but it didn't really jump at me.
I basically split the kick into it's M/S components the S part was there but soo quiet.
If i am not totally off we perceive the amount of wideness a sound has by the ratio of Side to Mid signal.
If you could go into more detail about your findings, that would be great.
I also don't quite get what you mean by dynamic. To me it's a more or less volume fade from start to finish.
Nothing really jumping out at me in that department. If you look at the waveform you can see it can't have much sub content,
this also has something to do with the rapid decay. The only thing that struck me is the weird pitch bend which seems to fluctuate.
I dunno if that's so good, tbh. As is said before, i'd welcome you to go into more detail.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

I also had a think yesterday. I think this kick can be pretty much replicated by genereating a sine at 50 Hz, 120 ms long.
Then cut out a part of the first cycle to make it click. Don't just cut the first half of the very first cycle but snip out a slice.
This is actually pretty easy to do. I shall see if i can add a screenshot if any problems arise. Then apply the pitch envelope,
you might need to experiment if you want it all wobbly as in the original. Then do a fade out over 120ms. This should bear some resemblance,
i just tried it at work. :-flower
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

In fact... maybe noaffiliation isn't completely wrong.. I enlarged the stereo image to 200% with ms and the kick almost disappear, but not entirely... some high freq remain audible.

But i dont think it's the secret specifically for the kick, maybe he had simply applied ms widening from X hz up and in the final master some of the kick high freq went trough it.

The weird dynamic isn't of the kick itself... The bass of the track it's a sub bass in G#, it sits around 20 hz give or take, and it sits low in volume beetween the first and the third beat.. also on the second beat there is a weird percussion.. so the beath goes like this 0 _°_O___0°°_O___ where 0 is kick, ° is sub and O is kick +perc...
This give a rolling sound and lot of dinamic because when the sub hit the volume drop, and the next kick seems huge even if it is not much more of a short click.. The delayed thing you hear at the intro to me it's not the kick.. but some delayed ad filtered percussion.. It seems to me like this aniway after listening and watching the waveforms of the intro 1000+ times lol...
I also had a think yesterday. I think this kick can be pretty much replicated by genereating a sine at 50 Hz, 120 ms long.
Then cut out a part of the first cycle to make it click. Don't just cut the first half of the very first cycle but snip out a slice.
This is actually pretty easy to do. I shall see if i can add a screenshot if any problems arise. Then apply the pitch envelope,
you might need to experiment if you want it all wobbly as in the original. Then do a fade out over 120ms. This should bear some resemblance,
i just tried it at work.
I think it's not as simply as the classic sine + sine phase inverted (or sine + sine at 0 crossing)... Watch the waveform at high magnification

The attack seems to me definitely a square.. it's not a sine... And if it is a sie it's super distorted.. correct me if im wrong because im not this super producer, but looking at it it's a square..
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

amazordrum... i so know this waveform by heart... good luck creating anything even remotely close, it's not that simple.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

When i looked at it in Audacity i was thinking it was square as well
(anti-aliased square it's called in Audacity, not the regular square).

I think we all have learnt a thing or two here, that's nice.

I said there is stereo content but not worth talking about, imo.
So i agree with Noaffiliation and you. 20 Hz sub sounds super deep. You sure about that, mate?
Having sub so low could rob you of quite some headroom.

I haven't heard the track in question but it probably comes down to short kick and fat bass. So the sub emphasis
is clearly on the offbeat(s), not the kick itself. It's mostly exactly the other way round in the tracks i check.
Thank god there's variety.

As i said before, you can paint yourself any attack you like. It's like a vinyl click.
Have you tried my little receipe? Should be a starting point.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

loopdon wrote:NoAffiliation, please explain. It didn't sound especially wide to me in the high freqs (only place that would make sense anyway).
Measuremnts confirmed there is SOME stereo going on above 1000 Hz but it didn't really jump at me.
I basically split the kick into it's M/S components the S part was there but soo quiet.
If i am not totally off we perceive the amount of wideness a sound has by the ratio of Side to Mid signal.
If you could go into more detail about your findings, that would be great.
I also don't quite get what you mean by dynamic. To me it's a more or less volume fade from start to finish.
Nothing really jumping out at me in that department. If you look at the waveform you can see it can't have much sub content,
this also has something to do with the rapid decay. The only thing that struck me is the weird pitch bend which seems to fluctuate.
I dunno if that's so good, tbh. As is said before, i'd welcome you to go into more detail.
a fucking retard could make a rack and send the hi freq to a delay. i did no analysis i just listened and it's obvious. learn how to balance your subjective vs objective

dynamic = change in volume. his kick doesnt stay the same fucking volume ever. that's called DYNAMIC

go research binaural panning
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

s.k. wrote:amazordrum... i so know this waveform by heart... good luck creating anything even remotely close, it's not that simple.
everything is simple....

just simple people that make the difference