SH-101 Mains Hum

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: SH-101 Mains Hum

Post by lem »

gowans wrote:also if the volume control of my sh-101 is on 0 and i have my headphones plugged into the 101 i still hear the noise
regardless of this it could be interferance from one of the 'modules 'of the circuit.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

gowans wrote:i can confirm its the lfo, when i move the lfo fader up it gets faster in its sound, but its always in the background like a little whining noise?
ok, this could be a number of things. poor grounding at some point? possibly at the power supply, possibly further down the line.
my advice, try another psu. maybe a boss one, or better still take it to a shop and test the psu's before you buy.

if its not the psu then possibly repair, although i hope its not. good luck dude
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

thanks a lot mate, im going to get a boss psu for it, see if that sorts the problem, i really hope it isnt a repair job. heres another example: http://www.sendspace.com/file/e6la72
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

gowans wrote:thanks a lot mate, im going to get a boss psu for it, see if that sorts the problem, i really hope it isnt a repair job. heres another example: http://www.sendspace.com/file/e6la72
sorry i cant download them, on a mobile.
if not a boss one maybe one of the ebay replacements?

where are you based?
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

uk mate
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

im based in cornwall. if u are close i could have a look for you.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

imo if the pitch of the interference changes with voltage then it's not going to be a mains hum issue.

Analogue stuff can have issues like crosstalk, but in a well designed synth this should be minimal, and definitely the sh101 is not known to be a noisey synth.

I reckon it's gonna be an issue with the synth, did you get it from ebay? I'm guessing that it's new and not that it worked perfectly but now has an issue.

I was playing with a Jupiter 6 last year and it had all sorts of weird stuff going on.

I would try the new power supply, and if that doesn't work then find a good technician who's worked on sh101s before. A good one will charge quite a lot for their time but not a take this piss amount.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

oblioblioblio wrote:imo if the pitch of the interference changes with voltage then it's not going to be a mains hum issue.
Agreed, but it could easily related to the power supply. I'm sure you know how much of a difference clean power can make to a modular. Maybe a similar thing is going on here?

The first thing a tech would do is check the signal coming from the power supply.