How long have you been producing until first release?

- ask away
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How long have you been producing until first release?

Post by Stomper »

i had some releases after about 18 months. but poor sound and bad label that releases just about anything. only now after 5/5.5 years i feel i can start sending demos.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

To the OP, if you are in it for money, forget it. Everyone I know ( in person and forums ) will make music because it is a part of them. Be one with music, allow yourself to be yourself, create your sound and then, 'Que Sera, Sera'.

Have an artistic agenda, not a financial one. :)
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Over 10 years and still no release. I simply have no talent in music, I just do it for fun.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

At what point do you think one is at their musical peak? If there is such a thing..
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

::BLM:: wrote:At what point do you think one is at their musical peak? If there is such a thing..
I suppose it's individual, but then again you rarely see anyone creating their masterpiece when they're over 40. I suppose there are tons of exceptions though.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

::BLM:: wrote:At what point do you think one is at their musical peak? If there is such a thing..
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/121 ... ge-40.html
i found this study pretty interesting. your brain still develops till 40. so what about the idea your character as an artist develops till that age too?
and what i´ve seen from artists in their 50ies only really a view could manage still to make something interesting in the same way they did in their 30ies. look at some movie directors. some old guys still rock it cause of their experience but their most impressive stuff happened way earlier.
techno made me do it
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

there is no such thing.

if you change music styles you can have a peak in each one. i've probably changed styles completely about ten times now, i started as a drummer in an acid rock band when i was 11 and probably hit my peak when i was 21 when i released my first records in that style, then i was a bassist in a punk band in 1977 and probably hit my peak after 2 years...... and so on and so on.
i probably made my most commercially successful music to date as a guitarist in a psychedelic grunge band when i was 38. at the same time i started making warehouse techno in 1991 and was most successful at that around 1996, age 41, then moved onto minimal around 1999.

i'd say ive got many more years before i hit my peak in modular techno as i'm still learning, but after nearly two years i'm ready to release my first album in my new style age 56.

i'd say its bullshit that your brain only develops till age 40, it depends what you mean by develop. you are still making and breaking neural pathways long into your old age, my dad is 86 and he runs a successful business on ebay making and selling rare engine parts, he's totally computer / internet literate and he didnt know what a computer was 10 years ago.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Thanks Steevio, you're an inspiration!

Maybe I'll get my release if I practice enough. Within 10 years hopefully.