Ableton

- ask away
bobdelux
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

use what you have

Post by bobdelux »

word. since you are new to music prod , at this point, you're not missing out. just stick with ableton, and learn it like the palm of your hand, dont waste time learning another host since you already spent money on it. Reason is also excellent if you are new to music production in that it emulates a real studio. reason and live5 complement each other nicely.

Live has a sampler, a drum machine, decent plug-ins and hosts VSTi/fx, etc.,... thats all ya need mate. get a good soundcard, monitors and room treatment. Once you learn live, you'll be spending more time making rough-ass beats, instead of wasting time learning another host....check kvraudio.com..remember, use what you have. PM me if you'd like a pdf of Live 4 powah.

have fun :)
Tek23
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tek23 »

Ablton is all I use start to finish, with vsts and hardware

I would say learn the program inside out before going on for more
Lostra
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Lostra »

If you are in a novice level, try things out to see the handling of a programm. But it is better to learn 100% an application so you can
find all the details that cannot be seen from the beginning. I think that every application has + and -. Ableton tends to be the most reliable in sound, handling and performance. Use Hardware and Vst's for your sounds, don't use only built in synthies.

Hope i helped you

cheers

L.
crisp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crisp »

Ableton is fine for just abouth any type of music you want, the only thing that can limit you is your brain!

peace!
Layborn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Layborn »

provaznik wrote:ok just understand this. it doesn't matter what you use it matters how creatively you can use the tools at your disposal. so since you are in the beginning stages of production try different things, different software, different hardware etc. to see what works best for you. yes i do use ableton live but it is not for everyone. i hope this helped.

oh yeah and reason is a just fine choice for novices and pros alike.
Agreed
-Layborn-
james hill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by james hill »

Many thanks for the advice guys, its been very helpful! :)
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

crisp wrote:Ableton is fine for just abouth any type of music you want, the only thing that can limit you is your brain!
BULLSHIT!

There is stuff that ableton won't do yet. That program is ok for playing loops as a rewire app and live stuff which is what it was made for, but for real music production it's still just a toy. It really drives me crazy because it has a great interface and would be off the hook if it did all the stuff a real multitracker does.

Complaints:

You can't just switch a sample to mono
It sucks up cpu hardcore when using vsts
It starts to sound dirty when doing a mixdown with more than 8 tracks
you can only record on 1 channel at a time (I mean come on...)
really crappy midi clock for outboard gear
no quick bounce feature
When you freeze a track you can't manupulate the audio even though it has to be playing that track from an audio file (drives me nuts)
sloooooooooooowwwwwww at rendering a file
you can't audio out of a track directly into a bus

Props:

Great interface
best hands down at synching up beats from loops
good for live loop playing
the automation controls are spectacular

This program isn't ready for studio work yet. It's going to take a few more versions to do the trick.
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

You can't just switch a sample to mono
Tryed the utility?

I don't like aranging tracks with live. But the automation and interface itsselfs are realy cool. Thats true.