Busses for the right Mix..

- ask away
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

i agree with decard. not about if umek is good example for mixing or not. but about over compression.
1. compressor reduce dynamic range. two instruments can share similar frequencies but have very different dynamic range that you will lose for no good reason.
2. i like to 'mix' while im producing (which is how most producers work) and this way every change might result in the need to go back to the buss compressor and change its settings.

i like to have busses separated by the roll.
-rhythm section
-bass
-melodic
-vocals
-fx (i send my reverbs to its own buss and use a dual mono compressor to have different compression for each side which gives the impression of a wider stereo field).
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

Stomper wrote:i agree with decard. not about if umek is good example for mixing or not. but about over compression.
1. compressor reduce dynamic range. two instruments can share similar frequencies but have very different dynamic range that you will lose for no good reason.
2. i like to 'mix' while im producing (which is how most producers work) and this way every change might result in the need to go back to the buss compressor and change its settings.

i like to have busses separated by the roll.
-rhythm section
-bass
-melodic
-vocals
-fx (i send my reverbs to its own buss and use a dual mono compressor to have different compression for each side which gives the impression of a wider stereo field).
what fx comp do you use? i really like the api2500...you also can choose how much your L/R channels are processed separetly.
techno made me do it
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

i usually use UAD fairchild 670 but sometimes the UAD Neve 33609. both sound really good.
Afroide
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Afroide »

Just wanted too chime in with a recommendation for a SICK bus compressor - Cytomic's 'The Glue'. It's very transparent so for color, look elsewhere, but at $99, I defy you to beat it at 3x the price :)

Anyway they have a free demo - One of the issues I've had with bus compression is that most plugins, IMO, don't treat your low frequencies that well. Try out a demo of the glue and slap one on your drum bus with mild gain reduction/long attack/long release, and another on your master with fast attack/decay, 3-4 db (rms) of gain reduction :D <3 this plugin!!!
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

glue is nice. but api2500 is nicer ;) and a real one would be pure niceness
techno made me do it
Afroide
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Afroide »

deccard wrote:glue is nice. but api2500 is nicer ;) and a real one would be pure niceness
Waves? Hmmm... I haven't used that specifically but have seen it mentioned in comparison. Have you compared the API 2500 to current versions of The Glue, out of curiousity? Quality of processed audio has come along way since release, apparently.

As far as hardware, I think I'd prefer to snag a fasto... mmmmm :)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

deccard wrote:glue is nice. but api2500 is nicer ;) and a real one would be pure niceness
Yeah I use the api2500. It's great.

I tend to just group my drums, but only sometimes. It always depends, its not possible to follow the formula each time because everything will sound the same.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

Afroide wrote:
Waves? Hmmm... I haven't used that specifically but have seen it mentioned in comparison. Have you compared the API 2500 to current versions of The Glue, out of curiousity? Quality of processed audio has come along way since release, apparently.

As far as hardware, I think I'd prefer to snag a fasto... mmmmm :)
well i had some projects i was using the api2500 and tried to replace it with the glue but i sticked to the api...
the api plugin series aint that old. your argument could maybe fit to the first uad simulations compared to the newer ones.
also the api is a very musical compressor. there is a reason why they try to simulate it. into the original api design already went alot knowledge and experience. the plug tries to simulate that sound. so the glue is a product of its own, which has to compete with the technical history of the api. dont forget that. but the glue aint bad. i just prefered the api. keeps the material more alive i had the feeling.

the fatso is another story i think.
techno made me do it