Toronto not ready for minimal...

- open
Cribby
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cribby »

Picotto surprised me too...it was awesome! As for Misstress B, I heard she plays more tech house now...but if she plays some mnml than that'll be sweet. I know Loco Dice will be tearing it up with her. :)
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Toronto has it's own charm. Each place does.

I personally always have a good time when I'm in Toronto.

I don't care for scenes. If I did, I wouldn't wait for it to come to me, I'd go to it, but I'm not that kind of person. Scenes are not for me. I also don't go into things expecting anything really. Whatever happens, happens.

I would never want people to expect only certain things of me when I play a rave or make music, but sometimes it happens. And unfortunately people get disappointed when they expect too much or expect certain things.

This seems to be an issue which comes with seperate scenes where people have buried themselves, albeit very jadedly and/or unknowingly, into a specific niche. It's a pity, really, that some people think they will always be catered to like that.

Some people are so unwilling to dig for themselves.
faunty
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by faunty »

agreed , but honestly I can't figure out your post as it pertains to this thread. Author seemed to be going for simply a good time, and got a treat to some more of the minimalish type stuff he enjoys as a good unexpected surprise.

I myself am quite out of a "scene" but I go out to all sorts of techno and house events, but I have a general consensus of things. This Picotto event is held in the only Super club of sorts in Toronto (the Guvernment) and it's sort of a hard techno- trance event. betwen the clubs (note club not scene) vibe in the past how many times i've been and knowing I don't generally like that sort of sound and synthetic environment.

I know I dont like Trance or Hip Hop so I won't go to an event of that sort, the distinction is that base.

For instance, it's your own sort of experimental music that wouldn't get received at that night of which has chosen to stick to a formula and authors comments were expressing dissappointment of a crowds poor reaction to something that broke from that mould and BPM's a bit
Cribby
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cribby »

It was mainly a trance and house event, so the tech didn't fit in at all...and most people there have very closed minds, since other forms of edm are out of their scope...Fortunately for me I'm a fan of Trance, House, and Techno and all of the subcategories...The scene is part of my life and it also contributes to whether or not a deejay will be booked again or not, and it disappoints me when good sets are disregarded and hated because it's "different" then the usual. But that's the problem with Toronto really...underground is becoming commercial...
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

Jesse Somfay wrote:Toronto has it's own charm. Each place does.

I personally always have a good time when I'm in Toronto.

I don't care for scenes. If I did, I wouldn't wait for it to come to me, I'd go to it, but I'm not that kind of person. Scenes are not for me. I also don't go into things expecting anything really. Whatever happens, happens.

I would never want people to expect only certain things of me when I play a rave or make music, but sometimes it happens. And unfortunately people get disappointed when they expect too much or expect certain things.

This seems to be an issue which comes with seperate scenes where people have buried themselves, albeit very jadedly and/or unknowingly, into a specific niche. It's a pity, really, that some people think they will always be catered to like that.

Some people are so unwilling to dig for themselves.
Right on.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

When we (Tractile) played in Toronto the last time, it was a fun time. There wasn't a huge crowd but it wasn't a huge venue either.. there were just enough people there to have a fun time and it was good that way. Playing in Toronto again would be fun and hopefully people will know what to expect the next time we come and amass in larger numbers.. but having fun is most important.

Toronto is like any other city in North America... there are small groups of people doing really good things and the way the climate of things are, it's difficult to be successful doing events and things. But like I say about everything, all it takes is some time and hard work.

Toronto IS kind of a place where people really followed the hard techno thing and so their might be some validity to some of the comments above but there's definitely enough people into these new sounds around... Ontario is artist-rich and Toronto is sort of at the centre of it all (not neccesarily literally.. but it is pretty geographically convienient as well).

I wouldn't say it's "dead" there... just a little dormant. There does seem to be an incline with things going on there since the previous few years and it would be really nice to see things really come to life again. It could happen.. just make sure to get off your rear and support your local promoters and junk by showing up to the shows. Sounds cheesy maybe, but back in the day, that's why the whole rave thing worked so well. People were really just a giant bunch of friends or family or something and were look'n out for the whole of it all.

and as for the original posters comments, it's not a toronto thing at all.. the thick headed people described in there are everywhere. Detroit is a perfect example of another place in the same boat.
entropy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by entropy »

Many people are not yet ready for mnml, not just in toronto, but everywhere...

But the biggest thing that depresses me in this story< is that someone like Picotto played minimal... i mean, hearing minimal coming from someone like that, it's just a spoiler!
Why? Because then i start thinking how minimal is becoming so fucking HIP and that everyone's going to play it, and that it'll get to being something like trance, all too comercialized... i'd never want that to happen to minimal! :cry:
"So the kids take a pill to feel the funk and the DJ takes a pill to feel the funk. I don't take a pill to feel the funk." (Derrick May)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

but it will...like any other music... it's fashion.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.