Why are netlabel releases so full of pads and reverb?

- free art
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

plaster wrote:but seriously...what is the deal with over reverbing?

i got curious aswell.
too much reverb? :D

seriously, i don't know when i downloaded the last tracks from the net i couldn't play due to lack of production.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

what's wrong with trance? :(
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

harass wrote:what's wrong with trance? :(
:cry:
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

What's wrong with trance ? I think paul van dyke, gatecrasher, Chicane and APB can asnwer that one and many like them, not that I have major beef , but you did ask :)

As for what was once right with trance ?

A couple of examples :

http://www.discogs.com/release/185400

http://www.discogs.com/label/Rising+High+Records

Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

harass wrote:what's wrong with trance? :(
Nothing in particular on my end. I grew up with some nice jam and spoon music and regret leaving my psy collection behind. Ultimately the cliches of any genre are the same as any other. House, trance, drum and bass, techno, breaks - they all have cliches. Good music is good music.

What gets me is when a track is supposed to be "dark" because there are minor chords or whatever or extremely bright and happy synth stabs and air whoosing noises. With regards to the net stuff, I would have loved the tracks if they were more basic, without the swooshing sounds. The swooshing overpowered the more delicate sounds and with most mainstream trance music the music is simply just caveman beats with thick wooshes. Maybe its an acid vs ecstasy thing. Hey, I thought this was a minimal board afterall?
freeeeeee
duckett
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by duckett »

hey people,
just a thought on the pad and reverb. I have quite often found myself using 'thick' pads to cover dodgy productions as they can tend to fill a large part of the freq spec, a kind of blanket draped over as to muffle and soften the edges, it does work, but yeah, all my tunz are muffled and softend, not really for dance floor - i dont wanna feel muffleld and softend on the dance floor, maybe a slight muffling now and again.......we humans like a bit of background noise, it makes us feel content...the washing machine, cars passing by, the voices in our heads, i think its fair to add ambience, maybe the unconsious sort, my tracks are usally built around a pad or some unbroken sound, this is my style, as for reverb, well. I find it hard to take lift my head from the ashtry. :D

fancy a muffling??
http://www.mindtours.co.uk/netlabel.htm
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

:lol: Good call, a muffling sounds cool as long as it don't mean a towel ower the speakers.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Why are netlabel releases so full of pads and reverb?

Post by adam »

Der geile Ami wrote:I did some downloading over the last few days - 2.6 gigs in total - to start a new dj project. Im not a dj, so I have just gone with some of hte labels presented here and links from them, etc.

So many tracks that would be great on the dancefloor were just overfilledwith pads, pads, and more reverb. Why? It was like I was listening to trance, not anything minimal. To be fair, stuff like foundsound was not. Sure, there is some nice experimental stuff to listen to at home, but it must be damn hard for djs to find enough proper dancefloor stuff. Is the solution for them stuff like Beatport? Guys, let your sounds breathe a lil without hte extra air!

If anyone can point out some not so padded stuff, that would be awesome.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Every (im generalizing here, spare me the 'well, not my label!') damn netlabel i've heard in the alleged 'techno' and 'minimal' and 'dancefloor' classification has been nothing but boring dubby "nice" music... nothing with any balls, so to speak or anything with real funk... with SCARSE exception, the very few things i've heard that were even slightly good eventually destroyed themselves when more pads and garbage came in.