vinyl vs laptop

- open
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Yup - amen to that, it's all about the music that gets people off.

People who say they dislike seeing someone who just stands and presses buttons should go check Surgeon - the guy hardly flinches when he plays, extremely composed, and focused, he plays music, and does it well, people love it - well I certainly do.

Basic Channel/Rythym and sound/Maurizio aren't known for their diving on stage and setting fire to his Keyboard either.

The arguement about Vinyl V Digital is the same sort of thing musicians complained about when the DJ culture started, I would have thought seeing as mutation, adapting to new technologies and such like are all ingrained in the dance/electronic culture, that folk would take that on board when slagging folk within the same scene in order to promote themselves..

I'd call that friendly fire.

Is that Scumfrog punter not some fairly commercial DJ/producer ? Who cares what he thinks :) LOL
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

AVX23 wrote:Is that Scumfrog punter not some fairly commercial DJ/producer?
i think not, otherwise he could affort a laptop for his dj set :P
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

kiwi wrote:
AVX23 wrote:Is that Scumfrog punter not some fairly commercial DJ/producer?
i think not, otherwise he could affort a laptop for his dj set :P
from discogs bio:

His current album project under the name The Scumfrog is signed to Roger Sanchez' label R-senal records. The album features the singles "Learning to fly" and "We love you".

nuff said :P

i own a FS 1.0 but i haven't used it in almost a year, i'm a true vinyl addict for some reason. i mean it's like smoking, you know it's bad, you know it's expensive, but for some reason you keep doing it :D well i know mp3's are cheaper and take less space...but i stay addicted to vinyl..
i also think traktor dj's and people that use ableton to beatmatch FULL mp3 tracks should be ashamed, at least learn to beatmatch if you want to be called a dj, please!
but...i guess i'm at least as boring to watch when i mix as a dj that would use a laptop
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Th scumfrog made ome good money on commercially viable prog house tracks when he lived in newyork. Im sure there are many electronics eating well that minimal guys dont know about.

I think the guy the doesnt understand the root problem. It is isnt about mediums, its about interfaces. We could be bored to tears hearing this guy play, but the palce could be jumping, and hte same could go for hawtin in this guys favorite spot.

Technics has a perfect design with the 1200 and most mixers that have been designed over the years integrate 2 decks and a human quite well to perform short (dmc stuff) or long (hour, a few, maaaaany). Software mixing is still finding "standardized" physically interactive brdiges between performer and music. There are of course many that find their own ideal workflows, but not all can have that luxury of natural technical ability. I doubt he was getting acetates of everything, so i bet he used a cdj1000 once or twice.

The xone 3d hopefully might change A LOT. Regardless, there are continually new products coming out that build more ideal human-music relationships. Its an exciting time! The first cds didnt sound that good either and hte first airplane didnt go to the moon.

Maybe he never tried a controller and couldnt deal with a mouse. A lot of these mouse guys are bad tho. The music can be good, but difficult ot inject feeling into. If the guy is looking to introduce traditional instruments, he is at least interested to deviate from the standard prerecorded music blending concept.
freeeeeee
adhesif
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by adhesif »

'vinyl vs laptop' is just a sub genre of the age old debate of 'analogue vs digital' !
im gettin tired of it, people dont talk about the music anymore or zone in on the music, they are more concerned with the technique and medium used. people seem to just talk about ableton, richi hawtin, processor power and how many plugins their computer can run without glitching, blah blah yawn yawn !

its all about the power and effects of the music for me, regardless of format !
infact, its down to the preference and musical taste of the dj !

god i miss john peel !!
'adventitious roots'
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

There is no debate. People are bitter because they don't want to change with the times. Do whatever you want to do but digital is here to stay and we're all happy about it.
Gene_H
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gene_H »

I've been DJing for 8 years now and I'm seriously acutally thinking of ditching vinyl all together (final scratch included) and DJing totally in Ableton and Traktor in the near future.

Lately I play completely off the laptop more and more at home, and I find that I have so much more fun doing so. I can be 10 times more creative than just mixing records. I'm about to do a few gigs completely without vinyl to see people's reaction, but I enjoy it so much more when I'm 100% digital.
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

Shadi Megallaa wrote:What comes out of the speakers is what matters.. i couldn't care less if the Dj is using a birds beak on a record ala the Flinstones.. 8)
How true that is. I'm using Rane Serrato now mixed in with traditional vinyl, & its the best thing since sliced bread for me. Its all about options. Live P.A., loop machines, hardware, software, bird's beaks, whatever.

Its the quality coming out of the speakers that matters. Not what is going on behind the decks.