Untreated room, Focals, or else? help me guys!

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Daeronb wrote:.

So now im at the point where im changing my mind literaly every hour as to what i could best do with my 2000 euro's. to get the best sounding mixes i can possibly get at this point. Ive even thought of buying the KRK ergo room correction. heck every few hours im even deciding to just buy a good pair of headphones to mix in and use some less monitors to A/B with.

spending days on fora like these, i know them all like the back of my hand, and it only makes the choice harder lol (*cry* actualy)
you should relax.
get drunk or something (but stay away from the internet when you are, or you might end up with something you bought too soon :lol: )

look, studio's don't get build in one or two years.
I've been building my studio and refining my setup for over 10 years now.
I'm still not there 100%.
But I am more relaxed when it comes to buying gear, cause I know a lot better know what I want/need than I did say 5 years ago.
But even then I still stress a little tiny bit, it's normal.

Don't spend too much time on fora.
I've spent years and years on fora.
I think I made about 5000 or more posts up on vintagesynth a few years ago, (before they renewed the forum at 2004 and my whole post count got lost, oh irony :lol: ).
it doesn't make you a better musician.
just use fora to look for some quick advice and user reviews on gear that you're interested in, but otherwise the time you spend on some forum is almost always better spent making music.

90% of the people on fora are newbies or semi-newbies that reproduce an opinion they read somewhere else.
(and I don't mean this to be an arrogant prick, everyone was a newbie one day, it's just that it's normal that the more experience you have, the less you're gonna be on some forum)
Best way to get the most out of fora is to search for a few people that have enough mileage so they can talk about personal experience.
At least then you know you can pretty much trust their advice or judgement.
But even then you can still take anything anyone says on any fora with a Dead Sea of salt .
they're all just opinions, and all you gotta do is make up your own mind,
not have someone else make up your mind for you.
;)

and relax : with 2000, you're gonna get fine monitors.
it's if you only have 1000 or less to spend that you really gotta be worried. :lol:
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

michaellpenman wrote:Ceilings are just as impotent You need some like a ceiling cloud with helmhotlz
For the walls you need a mixture of absopers and deffractor.

For treatments

Add a book case with viynl behind you. This will defracted the sound.

Add a soft canves painting behind your setup
and one one the opposite celing

maybe take a pic of your room this way we can better help

Also really look at ergo if you can be bother treating your room.
It is amazing.
I never said ceilings are to be ignored,
they're just not as important as the walls as far as I see it.
if ceilings were just as important as walls, all these companies would be making a lot more products for ceilings instead of only just one or two and dozens for the walls.

anyways, it all depends on the room anyways.
if you got a room with walls that don't give any problems (you might be living in some hexagonal non-symmetric room by chance, who knows ? :lol: ), but a ceiling that does, then naturally, you need to do something about the ceiling.
I'm just saying : walls usually give more problems than ceilings.

the vinyl book-case is not a bad idea for diffusion though.
I considered that for a while myself.
but it would've gotten in the way of my 2 lounge chairs. :)
bkm1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bkm1978 »

A combination of materials is the best way to absorb.

In order for a frequency to be absorbed (completely) the material must be equal to 1/4 of the wavelength it is trying to absorb in thickness. (im pretty sure thats right).

Dont discount the use of 'air gaps'. Yes density is good, but there is a point at which it can be detrimental too. Hope fully I explain this right! Here goes:

Sound is air vibrations. That vibrating air can cause material to resonate at its frequency. A vibration of this kind will travel through denser connected particles easier as opposed to density being broken up by air gaps.
Think about how far sound can travel under water. The energy transfers through the dense connecting particles.

I wish I could explain this better! Someone more scientifically minded pleas step in. lol
marcneyen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by marcneyen »

Read this:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Should give you all the info on how to understand and tackle your problems in a low cost way.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

GIK acoustics are really good and pretty cheap. If you send them your room design they will to a plan for you.