Switching styles in your sets

- open
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

I think this depends on the guy before me.. if people look bored.. I tend to swap to a different style and go from there.. or I put on the same style and twist it later on..
I think it's just how the crowd reacts and the time you play..
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

ambient dub > deep house > techno > dubtechno > 2step

thats it.
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

Random public is not public. People should know what is going to listen!

Mise, what would you like to hear as a guy in the dancefloor?
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

i usually start off with some sick minimal like sander van doorn and move to a real dope tech sound like paul van dyk
- matt
Mise
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mise »

. wrote:Random public is not public. People should know what is going to listen!

Mise, what would you like to hear as a guy in the dancefloor?
Over a night probably something like, Deep house > techno > tech-house > minimal techno

Over a set, I'd like to see different styles thrown in too though which is more about crowd reading. I think dips in energy levels are definitely needed so to fluctuate the atmosphere somewhat and cause high impact tunes to stand out more, whether this involves moving to another style to cause these high impact tunes to do this is subjective again.

When I saw Hawtin play the minus 10 year thing at fabric, he constantly built up a sound over a long period, dropped it hard and then did it again, and again, and again, and again. Not sure if this is his style always, but was fairly predictable/boring :|

This thread is probably more about how to read a crowd and when to switch styles more than anything else (which is subjective anyway), I just wondered if people had certain tune selection strategies that they employ to better their crowd engagement and keep the punters on the edge of their sofa!

I like to be kept wondering what on earth is coming next. These are the most memorable sets I find anyway.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

what happened to mixing good tracks with good tracks? as long as YOU can hear the connection between them someone else should be able to do so too. It's about energy and fluidity, not necessarily about playing a bunch of tracks that are as similar to eachother as possible.

Well, at least not in my book.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah, i take a track and mix it, cause i think it will work

is it the same genre?
is it the same style?

who cares. dont think so much, just mix track after track ..
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

Exactly!
Mise wrote:When I saw Hawtin play the minus 10 year thing at fabric, he constantly built up a sound over a long period, dropped it hard and then did it again, and again, and again, and again. Not sure if this is his style always, but was fairly predictable/boring :|
By discovering that you have reached a new level of conciousness, now you know what not to do. I would say you got a lot of future, just remember:
Don't adapt to public, make public adapt to you.

Albert Einstein
You got the power.