Which soundcard to get ?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

TimTor wrote:I am planning to buy a good soundcard, but I find it hard to choose between a RME Babyface/Fireface or a Apogee Duet.

Any thoughts on this?
if your on mac and only need 2 inputs then go for the Duet.
TimTor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TimTor »

tone-def wrote:if your on mac and only need 2 inputs then go for the Duet.
I am, but I am not sure if I want some other hardware in the future (e.g. synth). The most important thing for now is the sound quality.

Another thing which might be quite handy is the option of having a Firewire connection. I noticed that some of the RMEs have it, but I wasn't sure if the BabyFace has it. Does anybody know that?
BlueCode Records - BCR011 - Dubious Methods - Out now (free release)!
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

The main advice i have is to stay away from any firewire soundcards if you're running windows because the setup can be extremely buggy.

The best sounding stuff i've run across is the RME stuff but they're expensive.. The best stuff that i've found that's a step down from that is either MOTU or PreSonus. The motu stuff is cool but seems to color the signal a little, but the drivers are good and the stuff is stable. The PreSonus stuff is extremely low noise and sounds very accurate but the drivers (at least mine) are kinda shitty, but the stuff sounds good enough that i'll overlook the buggyness in favor of the sound.

The stuff i don't really care for is M-Box, M-audio, Focusrite and Apogee. Yes i know apogee stuff sounds good as hell but honestly it's not worth the money they charge. You would be better off with an RME. Or you could do what some friends of mine have done and pick up a used MOTU ,put apogee convertors in it and save a bunch of money.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Im on windows and only used firewire soundcards with no issues.

i had a firebox. dont have anything bad to say about it. low latency, nice preamps and very stable.
i now use focusrite saffire (from the older product line) and very pleased with it. imo the preamps are very clean and at the same level as RME. so maybe a small version from the new saffire line could work for you.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

Stomper wrote:Im on windows and only used firewire soundcards with no issues.
i now use focusrite saffire and very pleased with it. imo the preamps are very clean and at the same level as RME. so maybe a small version from the new saffire line could work for you.

Same here and +1 for Saffire Pro
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

jobbanaught wrote:
Stomper wrote:Im on windows and only used firewire soundcards with no issues.
i now use focusrite saffire and very pleased with it. imo the preamps are very clean and at the same level as RME. so maybe a small version from the new saffire line could work for you.

Same here and +1 for Saffire Pro
+2 Saffire Pro (Pro 40). Super clean signal and hasn't gave me any issues at all. I'm on a Mac though.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Torque wrote: The stuff i don't really care for is M-Box, M-audio, Focusrite and Apogee. Yes i know apogee stuff sounds good as hell but honestly it's not worth the money they charge. You would be better off with an RME. Or you could do what some friends of mine have done and pick up a used MOTU ,put apogee convertors in it and save a bunch of money.
the new M boxes that came out last month are a massive step up. with pro tools 9 you don't need any digidesign hardware attached, so to make people buy M Boxes their had to make a decent product. it's got the same converter chips as the Apogee Duet and analog circuitry of their new HD interfaces.

it's on my shopping list.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

I have 2 questions regarding the audio interfaces, maybe some one can help me.

1. I always been told that audio interfaces dont play a big role in the production process since everything is been done "in the box" if u stay in the digital domain (that was my case). Is that true? Or do they color/affect the sound in the same fashion a monitor do?

2. Now I own a hardware synth that I have recorded lately and i've been thinking if the audio interface can affect the sound it's processing. So maybe i need to upgrade it to get a better/cleaner recording sound.

My setup is a dsi mono evolver pluged to the audio interface and that goes to the laptop via usb.

Can someone share some knowledge with me? Im a bit confused. :?