Chords and single notes

- ask away
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

to save any other beginner from searchin! not exactly a grueling task but..
http://ezinearticles.com/?Music-Scales- ... id=1521364
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Learn basic scales (there's zillions of resources online) and your basic major and minor chords and you'll be set to rock.

Learn the keys too :D :shock: Seriously.

Learning how to play (and program) scales and chords was a major turning point in making music for me. My next adventure is going to be learning bass guitar. I just decided the other day. It's going to be an adventure for sure. I look at the fretboard and I've got no idea what note is what. I've already found shitloads of charts to help me though.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

I have some musical training and a basic understanding of chords/scales etc., but when it comes to producing melodic electronic music where I'm incorporating basslines with keys/pads/stabs etc, I've come up with a method that makes it a bit easier: program the chords first, and then the bassline.

I find it easier to come up with a monophonic bassline that matches a chord progression than trying to figure out chords that match the notes in a bassline (especially if the bassline consists of many different notes).
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

fck the minor scale, that's boring. Go straight to the gregorian scales, like the mixolydian scale. Listen to Television - Marquee Moon and you know how to nail it. Then you just need to transpose your newfound knowledge in 70's new york guitar virtuosos to techno. Easy.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

boudo wrote:Television - Marquee Moon
any record that has each solo individually credited is either awesome or awful. this one is awesome.
klankeffect
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by klankeffect »

nice book for this i am reading now: i have music theory for dummies and music theory for computer musicians from michael hewitt.
grtz
lessizmoremoreizless
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

klankeffect wrote:nice book for this i am reading now: i have music theory for dummies and music theory for computer musicians from michael hewitt.
grtz
music theory for computer musicians from michael hewitt.

very good book
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

Sonic Academy has a pretty easy to follow Beginners to Music Theory with a focus on Scales and keys. It taught me a good deal in short amt of time