help me first gear to buy

- ask away
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

Spurn wrote:but i wonder to myself if i should just wait and save for something more high end and i justify it to myself as an investment in my future even though atm i may not need it or even know how to use it effectively.
When starting guitar or violin etc, it's usually recommended to invest in a high-quality instrument. The cheap sh!t is difficult to play, its not possible to tune correctly and always sounds like sh!t. That can be a real turn off when learning, it'll never sound good irregardless of how much you practice. Harder to say with gear but I think the principle still holds somewhat
moessap
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by moessap »

my point of view... buy good material at the beginning... espacially good monitors ;)
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

good point. guess i'll just save for an allen & heath zed-r16 ;)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Torque wrote:
tone-def wrote:if your not using hardware it doesn't matter what interface you have. any interface with 2 out 1/4 inch jacks and supports 24 bit will do.

these are some good examples of what you need

M-Audio Firewire Solo
M-Audio Fast Track Pro the other fast track hasn't got 1/4 inch outputs and sounds crap.
Lexicon Alpha (cheapest)
Lexicon Omega
PreSonus AudioBox USB

those alesis 520 don't look made for production. they only support 16 bit audio. that suggests they're aimed towards the bedroom digital DJ. also the bass response isn't very good or accurate.

when it comes to monitors buy the best you can afford.
the only one that sounds good off of that list is the PreSonus
thats correct, there aren't many good things in that price range.
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

If i go to the music store to buy a pair of monitors, what should i look for when i listen to them? Should i buy those i think sounds the best? And what should i listen to? My own music, someone elses music, different genres?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

boudo wrote:If i go to the music store to buy a pair of monitors, what should i look for when i listen to them? Should i buy those i think sounds the best? And what should i listen to? My own music, someone elses music, different genres?
You need to find the ones that have the flattest eq response with no opinion on the sound.

The moral of the story is that there is no cheap way to get pro sound. You have to believe in your own ability enough to make the investment in yourself.
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

boudo wrote:If i go to the music store to buy a pair of monitors, what should i look for when i listen to them? Should i buy those i think sounds the best? And what should i listen to? My own music, someone elses music, different genres?
Bring a CD with reference tracks. Stuff you know well, which is also well produced. Perhaps in a variety of styles and genres, not just minimal. It's useful to use the same CD for listening tests whenever you get the chance. Don't bring an mp3 player cos no one will take you seriously.
moessap
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by moessap »

MagpieIndustries wrote:
Bring a CD with reference tracks. Stuff you know well, which is also well produced. Perhaps in a variety of styles and genres, not just minimal. It's useful to use the same CD for listening tests whenever you get the chance. Don't bring an mp3 player cos no one will take you seriously.
Totally agree, nothing else to say !!