Label that doesn't listen demo

- open
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Atheory wrote:
and this one might be unpopular but i think its even better. To send a demo to a label you should pay a small sum (1euro minimum) to upload to their ftp or whatever to compensate for the time of the person who is going to have to listen to it. And maybe it would guarantee at least a few lines of feedback. It'll never take of but it would be a better world if it did.
that one is kind of interesting. i don't think it's a fully formed idea, but also I couldn't really say how to improve it.

I think it is a very valuable thing that label owners take the time to listen to demos. It keeps things interesting I think and gives people a chance.

Anyone who's put effort in their music and actually wants a label that they like to listen wouldn't have a problem paying a small fee. At the same time someone who just sends promos out all over the place would think twice.

I mean it's not a perfect solution but I think it could go somewhere.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Yeah, i'll admit its a disgutsing idea and all that but it would stop the group mailing and maybe underline for people that admin does go into having to listen to lots of tracks every day. If certain financial avenues are closing for labels, other ones should open.

I think it would be hard to implement cause some labels (rightly) wouldn't be interested in stiffing the people, it would only work if almost everyone was on board.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Atheory wrote:i propose a new rule for all label owners.

to send a demo to a label you must first provide proof that you have purchased at least 1/5 of their backcatalogue.

The idea of sending a demo to a label whos records you haven't bought a few of their releases is nasty.
I totally agree. Its hard to sign an artist who wants to work with you without knowing anything of the label.
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

i think you need to have connections to even get your demo heard.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

the problem with soundcloud is a bit that it's very easy to send your music to 1500 people f.e. When I see that I don't even bother to listen, simply because I figure that the producer just wants to release his music regardless of the label's style or track record. Plus, I figure if 3000 people already have the track it'll be on rapidshare months before you can even think of releasing it :)

Soundcloud has many advantages but I still prefer getting them by yousendit f.e. with a small email saing who you are, where you're from, you know... get to know the dude behind the tunes if only a small bit.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

use mail. old school mail. cd in an evelope, and handwrite it. they will listen to it.
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

PsyTox wrote:the problem with soundcloud is a bit that it's very easy to send your music to 1500 people f.e. When I see that I don't even bother to listen, simply because I figure that the producer just wants to release his music regardless of the label's style or track record. Plus, I figure if 3000 people already have the track it'll be on rapidshare months before you can even think of releasing it :)

Soundcloud has many advantages but I still prefer getting them by yousendit f.e. with a small email saing who you are, where you're from, you know... get to know the dude behind the tunes if only a small bit.
Thats my point..not so much about the beeing on rapidshare or seomthing..but when the producers sends it to 1500 people its completly impossible for me to think that this guy feels something for my label..and I like to release and work with artists not with tracks .

Few time ago I received a demomail where the producer wrote a short bio and stuff that cought my attention because I felt he was really sending a demo properly and for my label.. and I listenned, it wasnt my style but was nice and I forwarded it to a nice label and he is going to release it there ...

So I think its all about making the label feel that that demo is for them.

If you dont take 5 minutes of your time to introduce yourself why would I take 6 to listen to your music if it was probably sent to another 2143514 people ?
http://www.myspace.com/alexxwolfe

http://www.myspace.com/suigenerizrecords

IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE FREE SONGS AND UPDATED NEWSLETTER FROM OUR RECORD LABEL, JUST GO TO OUR MYSPACE PAGE AND SUBSCRIBE TO OR NEWSLETTER
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

pheek wrote:
Atheory wrote:i propose a new rule for all label owners.

to send a demo to a label you must first provide proof that you have purchased at least 1/5 of their backcatalogue.

The idea of sending a demo to a label whos records you haven't bought a few of their releases is nasty.
I totally agree. Its hard to sign an artist who wants to work with you without knowing anything of the label.
People sending demos to labels they don't know about... -boom WTF -ex