Hardware Setup

- ask away
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

whats a good price for an assembled x0x? the beast is a bit steeps for my taste...
beam me up
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Just my opinion, but the xoxbox seems a bit limited. Obviously, it does what it does great, but not a lot else if you're looking for a more versatile synth.

If you can't afford a prophet 08, perhaps a Tetra would do? (assuming you don't use any chords with more than 4 notes). Although, it doesn't have all the knobs a prophet has. I have the prophet module by the way.

I used to be an all software guy for many many years. The prophet just has a rich sound that is miles better than the softsynths I was using. It also keeps me interested in modeling patches a lot more. There's just something about tweaking the sound with your hands as opposed to a computer screen. I love it!!!

Also, as a disclaimer: The instant you add a piece of gear to your setup, you'll be addicted. I've got a wishlist a mile long now and I'm scanning for used stuff all the time.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:Just my opinion, but the xoxbox seems a bit limited. Obviously, it does what it does great, but not a lot else if you're looking for a more versatile synth.

If you can't afford a prophet 08, perhaps a Tetra would do? (assuming you don't use any chords with more than 4 notes). Although, it doesn't have all the knobs a prophet has. I have the prophet module by the way.

I used to be an all software guy for many many years. The prophet just has a rich sound that is miles better than the softsynths I was using. It also keeps me interested in modeling patches a lot more. There's just something about tweaking the sound with your hands as opposed to a computer screen. I love it!!!

Also, as a disclaimer: The instant you add a piece of gear to your setup, you'll be addicted. I've got a wishlist a mile long now and I'm scanning for used stuff all the time.
i totally agree with everything you said.
if you're going for an analogue synth, you need knobs.
tb303s and their emulations are limited, i have a real 303 but i cant use it all the time, its too distinctive, unless of course thats what you want to sound like. i only use mine for bass with the resonance turned right down, and i also had to mod it to get more bass out of it as standard 303s ironically have a weak bass response.
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

phase ghost- one word: plastikman. haunting acid lines. four words actually. in two sentences... :lol:

wadda you guys think about behringer mixers? mackie? roland? the two things im really worried about are effects and a good mixer. of course, im managing to be worried about synths and live performance.
beam me up
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

get an sh-101 or similar old school REAL analogue mono synth

some cheap digital poly synth for pads/strings, etc, it could be just about anything. knobs are a plus.

for drums - the MFB-522 (808 clone) only 280 euro and is sweet.

live effects is a tough one, i'd still use a computer with a plugin host and a controller. you could even sequence with it too.

or just start collecting a bunch of pedals.
/__/\ /__/\ /__/\
| |::\ \ \:\ | |::\
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

emu command station is an awesome hardware sequencer, especially if you want to play parts and retain their timing (ie, not quantize everything to a grid of 16ths)

the korg electribes are super hands-on and really really quick and loads of fun to use, but the sound quality is less than desirable
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

boomstick wrote:phase ghost- one word: plastikman. haunting acid lines. four words actually. in two sentences... :lol:

wadda you guys think about behringer mixers? mackie? roland? the two things im really worried about are effects and a good mixer. of course, im managing to be worried about synths and live performance.

dont buy a behringer mixer.
diefenwald
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by diefenwald »

i think i will buy the waldorf blofeld ...