Producing techniques?

- ask away
Johnatan Traffic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Johnatan Traffic »

production techniques?

USE YOUR imagination, you can have all the pro stuff, but when you don't have a mind of your own, NOTHING will work.

explore your outer corners of your mind, body and soul.

and reason v.3.0 gives me the opportunity to flow my idea's into the air...
Aleksi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aleksi »

im in love with ableton live too..
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Johnatan Traffic wrote:
and reason v.3.0 gives me the opportunity to flow my idea's into the air...

yeah.... i had those moments also, now i'm an ableton user.

couldn't help it.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
ace
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ace »

a really interesting and complex tool for making minimal stuff is "energy xt".. takes some time to get into it, but its worth the time!
http://www.xt-hq.com/
Aidan_Day
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

workflow...

Post by Aidan_Day »

mcshort:

I think I know what you're saying about "missing something" ...

Techno is so crazy...DAWs in the vein of cubase/nuendo are not where techno came from, but it certainly lived there for a while...Techno came from outdated technology (at the time) being used "wrongly" (outside its design) to make future-themed music. Sometimes the infinite possibilities of huge DAWs, infinite instruments, effects, etc can make it distracting to produce something singular, improvisational, "driven", spirited, or truly "MINIMAL".

Which makes me wonder whether other producers are attaching extra-musical themes to the production of their music...

ie, is the most authentic minimal music produced using minimal equipment?

I almost wanna say yes...

On the other hand, Live does a lot to focus a DAW's power into instant control. It also seems to revive the spirit of early techno...using technology for uses other than its intent (purposeful digital distortion, true GLITCHes etc).

...back to missing the point...

I use Ableton 5. I was an MPC user at first ('99), and begrudgingly switched to computers and Nuendo/Cubase after about 3 years. Always missed hardware a little until LIve.

But I feel like I may be missing something! I have had the repertoir of beats (in your head, that you can instantly lay down - your language) for years (like many of y'all out there), but there are some newer sounds that are out there...well, I can produce them, but feel like there would be better ways...more AUTHENTIC!

anyway...Live5 is definitely nice...

but I'm still gonna build some crazy hardware macro mind-reading stepsequencer for '06...
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

I'm not using a computer at all (except for editing patches on my nord modular)

I'm currently using the midi-sequencer part of a mpc2000xl but the sampler part of it is quite terrible so I got an emu 6400 ultra for that instead + 2 flexible synths (nord modular/yamaha fs1r) and a whole bunch of hardware effects (also here, the 4 essential modulation effect-units for my needs + a compressor)

record everything on a 8-track reel to reel recorder manually...

it makes me limited whether I want it or not, I sometimes have to do sacrifices with the tracks like collapsing/o. dubing which forces me in directions where it's impossible to take another route later if I want, unless I feel like recording everything all over again. ;)

used to have alot more gear and software, but it didn't help me in any creative way during the time I worked with logic on both pc and mac...

I'm not saying this way is better, but it works better for me...
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

fredrikburok wrote:it makes me limited whether I want it or not, I sometimes have to do sacrifices with the tracks like collapsing/o. dubing which forces me in directions where it's impossible to take another route later if I want, unless I feel like recording everything all over again. ;)
ableton has got all that sorted out :D
acidman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by acidman »

nobody mentioned FL studio 5 ? I think its a very creative software, for me it makes it really easy to put my ideas in to work. i think its a very good softeware to use for minimal you can pretty much play any sample and mixed them up make crazy patterns very easily. graphics are pretty good too version 6 is coming out soon, i cant wait...

I think a FL studio + Cubase SX combo or a Reason 3 + Cubase SX combo
are great softwares to use for this type of music.