ableont live for production?

- ask away
franksterling
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by franksterling »

from the possibilities i would probably go for logic again.
i also think for complete songs the live interface sucks.
hohwever i like the thought of having everything in live and being able to jam with it. i have so many old tracks (actually i dont, deleted the files some time ago) which i cant open anymore as they were done with hardware or old plugins like halion. so far live seems to have quite a complete set of plugins that would guarantee my tracks being useable in ten or more years (ohh my god then i am 42 - probably not much more producing then) and even more interesting to open projects at the computers of my friends.
i haven't really used the live instruments or plugins before but kontakt in its recent version got far too complicated for me anyway (i used to own version 1 which was good) so maybe i should give it a go. there are also some pretty awesome videos on you tube what people do with the apc 40 & live.
haha in the end i will probably end up using logic and doing breaks again.
Kozak
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Kozak »

Ableton rewired in Logic = that bomb! Logic is far more intuitive in midiediting, automating, arranging where Live is nicer to mocking up ideas and looping stuff.

Problem I have with ableton is that I can't finish tracks and fiddle around with loops too much = loopitis. I've just started working with logic. Another main advantage of logic are the build in mastering plugins...they are in my opinion a tad bit better than Live's.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i'm considering buying ableton soon but that will be for playing live. i don't like working with loops, it's the best formula to make boring music. i've never found it hard to structure a song in Logic so i've never seen the need for ableton's live jamming. it's not like you can't do that with logic and a korg EMX/ESX anyway.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

I use cubase and live (I know them both really well). There are some limits in live when it comes to "traditional" daw features, but when I work with cubase I realise how beautiful live works - I have to say I really miss many things from live when I work with cubase. I mainly use live in arrange mode like a linear sequencer and I don't use loops. Live has just a different workflow you have to learn. that means you have to work with it for a while, you don't get it if you just play with at it some days, but that's the same for every complex program.

I guess the most important thing is, if you're proficient with the sequencer you use or not.
Last edited by regler on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I just got a copy of ableton lite with my new midi controller and think I'm gonna give it a whirl. I've used Logic for years, but always wanted to experiment with a live set. I couldn't imagine using Logic in a live situation.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

the midi/audio timing of ableton live is not so tight as it should be.
from the other side, you can deveop ideas and manipulate your material really quick, and the routing is intuitive.
it is possible to produce only using live, but some workarounds are necessary, especially when recording external sources sequenced via midi... and you will have to deal with warping issues

so: rewire ableton to cubase or logic to have the advantages of both worlds seems a good solution to me
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

the midi/audio timing of ableton live is not so tight as it should be.
I never managed to get a good timing when I route midi in/out live, yes, but as long as you use "internal midi" (softsynth, sampler) I never noticed a problem.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i dont have a problem with timing on ableton, i run audio clips and midi clips to my external hardware and have never noticed any timing issues.
there may be a very small delay, but hardly noticeble and i think normal when running midi and audio together.