Dj Bone interview (bring some hate)

- open
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

miniKAT wrote:
Atheory wrote:yesterdays man give's bitter interview.
todays man responds with clueless post.
ha! thats actually quite funny.

nah, i just get tired of the same old interview, from the same old guys. the same old attitude and stuff, gets a bit tedius. detroit happened over 20 years ago. we should all move on, other people have.

i'm sure theres plenty of old rock musicians who give interviews about whats the "real" music, and whos the father of this and that, but the whole world goes on completely independent of them. its the same thing really, imo.

respect for bone and all, but, the interview made me cringe a bit. a bit closed minded and insular.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Atheory wrote:i'm sure theres plenty of old rock musicians who give interviews about whats the "real" music, and whos the father of this and that, but the whole world goes on completely independent of them. its the same thing really, imo.
I don't think it's the same.

Rock music constantly grows more diverse, while most of electronic dance music is becoming fairly homogenous across all 4/4 subgenres.
"Minimal", the hipster culture surrounding it, and the lame producers who exploit the term for marketing purposes are mostly to blame for this.
These people are brainwashing kids into an extremely narrow-minded attitude.
(Please note that "minimal" is in quotations. I'm only talking about the busters who have hijacked the name of my favorite style of techno/house.)
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^^

yes, i understand what you mean.

i do like the part where he talks about people not producing records for years and still touring around being anti-detroit. thats good.

its just i've seen that same type of interview hundreds of times. i guess they need to reinforce the detroit thing so much so they can keep on getting bookings around europe and make a living. so there is a hostility to anything new as its direct competition. i guess from a marketing point of view, respect for staying "on top" for so long.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

No...the most recent minimal fad really has nothing to do with it. These guys were making the same complaints in interviews 10+ years ago when swedish techno came into full swing. I understand the chip on their shoulder (white man threw Detroit on its back 40+ years ago), but who can possibly look up to someone that only has negative things to say?

The only old school Detroit cat that has anything positive to say while embracing classic Detroit techno along with the new stuff is Carl Craig. Oddly enough, he is probably the most diverse guy to come from Detroit, and he is technically the most talented. He in my opinion, is the role model that people should be looking to when considering Detroit Techno.

I also find it really funny that Bone is cutting down all these producers. His productions were never really all that amazing and he is mostly known as a DJ rather than a producer. I've seen him show up to gigs wearing some shirt preaching how amazing his skills are. He can beat juggle records and scratch over the top. Big deal.
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

Detroit guys are funny. They've been making the same boring music for 20 years and they complain.

Hopefully, Carl Craig is innovativ, Aaron Carl is full of love.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Dragonsand wrote:Detroit guys are funny. They've been making the same boring music for 20 years and they complain.

Hopefully, Carl Craig is innovativ, Aaron Carl is full of love.
I guess without their boring music u wouldnt have the heap of boring (and boring is a nice word for it) on beatport.

As for rock music, those old guys got it right. Compared to the rock of today. Ofcourse theres some good bands comming out but its like 1 out of a 1000.

Another thing: It has become too easy to be a DJ and even easier to be a producer. Hang around the right crew and u too can get big. U know the difference between the old cats and the new ones, it took years and years of practice to get where they're at. There was no computers to help u out. U had to put that work in. Nowadays its too easy. A month or 2 with traktor and boom u can get up there and be a dj. It didnt work like that before. I bet 8 out of 10 big names today will not be able to do what the detroit cats do on the decks. But in retrospect, the detroit guys will be able to do what the new cats do, given that theyre familiar with traktor or ableton or whatever the new guys are using. Its not that difficult. IT HAS BECOME TOO EASY!!! No talent required. AGAIN, DO NOT GET ME WRONG, IM NOT SAYING THIS FOR EVERY NEW CAT. BUT MOST.

For instance: in the 90's if I go to a party, 9 out of 10 chance the headliner will be impressive and will truly have earned the spot that hes at. Nowadays: It more like 9/10 chance that the headliner will sound like everyother one I've heard the past year or 2. Do u get what I'm saying? It has become too easy. I'm not saying everything should go back to the stoneage or nothing like that. I just want u to acknowledge that theres a lot more people on the top now that dont belong there as opposed to the 90's
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

I really like DJ Bone, but he's starting to sound like the 3rd Bass of techno. "MCDE? Gets tha Gas Face!!"
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

He sounds like he thinks about it too much. Some of the music I have made has been said it sounds like its from Detroit, but I can say for sure I didnt mean it too. It's just house music...