Russian Criminal Tattoo Art

- open
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

luke78 wrote:I love the Man is Wolf T-shirt. I might order one except I'm slightly worried about getting my head kicked in by an angry Russian!
Ok, a few people mentioned this before...Most of the tattoos that are used for the shirts are from 50's and 60's and are not tattooed anymore. None of them, I repeat, NONE, proclaim u to have any sort of criminal rank. Even if it did the stigma of the tattoo has died out in the 80's. It's more as a commemoration now or respect to the art and that culture. Thats why I made the shirts.
I am Russian and I would think its cool if u had one of those on (and I'm not saying this cause they're my shirts) 8) .

So you're safe :lol:
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Not my kind of thing, but sure as hell an interesting -and slightly disturbing- read. i can surely see how you can get interested in that, never knew that there was such a symbolic importance to those signs (except the meaning for the person itself obviously).
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

in all seriousness, be sure NOT to wear these in sheepshead bay or bay ridge— or brighton beach. you know what—just avoid south brooklyn altogether.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i really like the designs, and i'm a huge fan of tattoo art and culture / meanings, but i'd be wary of a prison tattoo on a t.shirt.

like mentioned above, wrong neighborhood / person, you might end up with a shank in your back. tough call...
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

cloutier wrote:i really like the designs, and i'm a huge fan of tattoo art and culture / meanings, but i'd be wary of a prison tattoo on a t.shirt.

like mentioned above, wrong neighborhood / person, you might end up with a shank in your back. tough call...
Both of u are out ur damn minds :lol: I live in sheepsheadbay and I have a few of the tats on me from when I was younger (not the ones from the shirts, but same category). I wear the shirts, My wife wears them, we sold quite a lot at a festival in Coney Island, to lots of people, Russian and not. As I said before the stigma of having those tattoos has been over for sometime, and the designs are from the 50's and 60's, Its not like walking around with a shirt with an 8 pointed star on ur shoulders. Relax, anybody fucks wit u, give me a call, I'll take care of it. Stop being such marys, its just a shirt
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

miniKAT wrote:
cloutier wrote:i really like the designs, and i'm a huge fan of tattoo art and culture / meanings, but i'd be wary of a prison tattoo on a t.shirt.

Both of u are out ur damn minds :lol: I live in sheepsheadbay and I have a few of the tats on me from when I was younger (not the ones from the shirts, but same category). I wear the shirts, My wife wears them, we sold quite a lot at a festival in Coney Island, to lots of people, Russian and not. As I said before the stigma of having those tattoos has been over for sometime, and the designs are from the 50's and 60's, Its not like walking around with a shirt with an 8 pointed star on ur shoulders. Relax, anybody fucks wit u, give me a call, I'll take care of it. Stop being such marys, its just a shirt
dear mini,

i read another thread where you explained about being from Russia/Coney (lot of time on my hands today). i guess i'll yield to you since there's some background other than picking a book up in barnes & noble (i assume). besides, you seem to have focused on the 'tamer' designs. not, say, the dozen or so unmentionable horrorshows that populate the latter half of the Baldaev book. *cringe*

sincerely,
mary
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Those are cool shirts actually, but I gotta side with Cloutier. In your average suburban U.S. city, you'll probably have nothing to worry about. In Russia, i'd be slightly leary. All I know is prison tattoos here in America is still very serious business.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

so is this like a cafeexpress type site, or are these quality screen printings on quality shirts?

nm: once I actually looked at the descriptions, it says they're printed on American Apparel shirts. So quality is intact.