vocals. u like?

- open
Joey Sarks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Just bored and rambling about nonsense...

Post by Joey Sarks »

mayzee wrote:To me its less about singing and more about using the voice as an additional instrument in the track, it needs to have some kind of edge...
I almost NEVER listen to vocals at all, whether it be hip hip, rock, punk, house, techno, whatever else. I never find any need for the vocals, it all seems to be about the music with me personally. But when done right it can be VERY effective at bringing a whole track around.

As far as with mnml, the lil cuts and clips, or repeating vocals seems to be the most effective. No sentences or strings of thought, just a random word or sound repeated that like mayzee and rich said can really add atmosphere and rhythm to a track.

But there are songs with vocals that can work well together with the music itself. I almost never find one that sounds good because of the actual words used, its usually something bout tone of voice, delivery, effects used on em, etc. Here's a list of some tracks I like cuz im really bored and need something to ramble on about.....

DJ Minx - A Walk In The Park (Villalobos remix) - Although this is just someone going "Do do do do do" or a variation of that, it really compliments the bassline. The bass does the same thing as the voice "Do do do do dooooo do" Through the entire song there is that same noise, either from the voice or the bass. I like how this song works with the vocals, as opposed to vocals just placed in the track.

Swayzak - Make Up Your Mind - The tone of voice changes in this song from high to low. Changes the feel of the song dramatically. You get really used to that high sharp sound of the girls voice so when it gets lower at those certain parts, its a very calmed down and relaxing vibe it switches to, and then it jumps back up again at the next part.

Maurizio - Domina (Carl Craig Remix) - The female vocal on this track is relentless, continuing constantly for a good portion of the track. I dont even know how describe why this track is so good, and it aint even mnml but its just a great track I highly suggest listening to, magical to say the least.

Echopilot (Brian Aneurysm) - Emptiness - Ok I gotta admit, got a lil' thing for Christy Jordan. Her voice is so hot, specially in this track. I love how they just talk in this track. A big thick bassfilled track with very quiet insignificant vocals that you can't help but listen to. Funny song too.

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head cuz I just woke up and I'm spacing out, if i think of some more ill let ya'll know
psiclist
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

thanks

Post by psiclist »

I think that vocals are one of the most difficult elements to use well. Like most other things there are no rules when it comes to making it hot. I think most of the anti vocal backlash is from that over the top new york gospel gay club anthem stuff that just makes me embarrased. Has anyone picked up that Kenny Larkin reprint with the "share my life vocal"? fire.
work that mthrfckr