What do you see when you hear?

- open
Jesse_mtl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jesse_mtl »

i chose records based on colors, mix them by color after. every sound kinda has a color attached. hi hats are usually white, kicks usually, dark - black.. synths can be anything, depending on frequency, modulations sound like shapes if that makes any sense ?
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

On psychedelics, I see colors, but it's not something I have a strong connection with, without drugs.. it's more pictures and landscapes. I've had a mild experience with taste too.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

Check out, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia - they have a little picture to the right, pretty interesting
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

"Active" absolute pitch

Persons with active absolute pitch will be able to sing any given note when asked. Usually, people with active absolute pitch will not only be able to identify a note, but recognize when that note is slightly sharp or flat. Active absolute pitch possessors in the United States number about 1 in every 10,000.

It cannot be assumed that all of these people with the gift of active absolute pitch are musicians. If one was to factor that in, the number of musicians with "active" absolute pitch is very, very small. However, musical training is necessary for full development of the auditory potential of a person with perfect pitch.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

I think it's quite common within the minimal scene (and experimental electronic music in general) to "see" its music as colours/forms/shapes/textures/movements/momentum/scenarios/plots.

what goes for scenarios/plots I can sometimes experience them on a microscopic level... like the communication within the brain/nervecentre if it's really minimalistic (mille-plateaux/ilar's audio.nl stuff etc.) stuff and similar. glitchy stuff is very human and psychological for me even though the sounds often are very electronic'ish sounding.

shapes and textures/patterns with movement I usually get from basic channel/chain reaction/deep chord stuff and similar, usually everything get a somewhat circular movement when I listen to it.

....and jpls got a point ;)
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

Pan/Tone, Cmyk musik...It all makes a little more sense now :)
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i 'see' music, no matter what styles

from abstract structures and objects to real-life scenes...
depending on how I feel

but sometimes i'm left with feelings without any 'seeing' going on
i can get just the feeling with any visual association...

but i have to say, that lately i don't always have to just close my eyes and listen, there's alway something to do, so that the visual aspect is minimised...

work, work...