Starting out!

- ask away
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

victorgonzales wrote:Does logic come with a drum machine/sampler? If not Id recomend getting one such as Battery. Unless you plan on synthesizing all your drum sounds but as a beginer you probably have no clue about that so using a sampler would get you rolling on drum beats.

Also for learning how to use a synth I would recommend downloading synth 1 It is free and very simple and good sounding. I would recomend you spend alot of time with synth one or something similar to learn exactly what all those buttons and knobs do. If you learn that first it will make translating your ideas into a song alot easier.
Nice one! I will check it out, Logic comes with 'Ultrabeat' not sure if thats equivalent to Battery?

Is the m-audio axiom25 an okay controller? and is that all I will need to start making some music or is there any other equipment I should consider?

Thanks for all the advice :)
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

iainkerr7 wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:Does logic come with a drum machine/sampler? If not Id recomend getting one such as Battery. Unless you plan on synthesizing all your drum sounds but as a beginer you probably have no clue about that so using a sampler would get you rolling on drum beats.

Also for learning how to use a synth I would recommend downloading synth 1 It is free and very simple and good sounding. I would recomend you spend alot of time with synth one or something similar to learn exactly what all those buttons and knobs do. If you learn that first it will make translating your ideas into a song alot easier.
Nice one! I will check it out, Logic comes with 'Ultrabeat' not sure if thats equivalent to Battery?
Id get at least 49 keys but I made do with 25 when I started. You should be fine with it if it's all you can afford.
Is the m-audio axiom25 an okay controller? and is that all I will need to start making some music or is there any other equipment I should consider?

Thanks for all the advice :)
jetee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jetee »

all you need now is to experiment and read your manual

you've got all you need (except for monitors, do you have any?)

let me stress this...you DON'T need dozens of vst's to make good sound. you don't. just know your instruments that are at your disposal and you're all set. Logic comes with amazing instruments out of the box, can't be beat

and to be honest, the jampacks and extra content are pretty sh!t. unless you like making music with other peoples creations/loops

go surf places like archive,freesoundproject, ect and start building a sound library

there is really so much you can do when you start out, but stick to the priorities such as building a sample library, getting to know logic and all that jazz

like mentioned, it's best to know the music you're willing to produce before you actually go ahead and produce it, saves you the anger and frustration
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

get a mic
signatures suck
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

The logic tutorial at macprovideo.com really helped get me started with logic. If you're not familiar with DAWs and synth programming you should check it out. The main Logic 101 tutorial is something like 8 hours long (!) but it takes you through Logic's shortcuts and workflow to produce a song.

My advice would be to start small. Logic has anything and everything and it's a bit overwhelming to a new user. Even their included ES2 synth is difficult to grasp when you first open it up.

For me, getting down to the basics really helped me figure out what I did and didn't need from a DAW. Unfortunately that also meant spending money on hardware and turning knobs. Hopefully it isn't the same way for you :)

PS: The ES2 and Mixing Electronica tutorials from that site really helped me out too~
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Excellent guys! Lots of good advice here. If anyone has any other tips or advice for what they did or should have done when starting would be excellent :)

Thanks for all the help guys!
cosmosuave
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cosmosuave »

jetee wrote:
let me stress this...you DON'T need dozens of vst's to make good sound. you don't. just know your instruments that are at your disposal and you're all set. Logic comes with amazing instruments out of the box, can't be beat
Have to agree on this... There is so much stuff out there that it is like being in a candy shop and you have to try it all... Don't give into this it is best to master the few tools you have than have a shitload of tools that you barely know how to use...

A hardware synth is a nice to have and one with a lot of hands on control (knobs/sliders)... Before you decide to buy one or a controller see about renting for a month first before buying... This way you can see if it is the piece for you before sinking $$$ into something that you don't like in the long run... Trust me I have learned this the hard way...

Best of luck...
dazza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dazza »

Check out a guy called logic ninja on youtube. Has some awesome free tutorials. Should get you started.