fck BEATPORT...

- open
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Listen, I am trying to live off this as well, and if beatport is working for you than keep with it. I just want to see more representation of electronica that is not exactly mainstream.

I am alright with having another job if I have to get one. Music is always going to be a passion regardless of whether I am getting money or not.

The qualms i have beatport are, unless you are making mainstream music, you won't have your music heard much on there. For instance I have a few artists who make very avant-garde music (and its fantastic) and its useless for me to even distribute it to beatport. It will be lost. Everyone is way to interested in whats in the top 100 or on someones chart.

I know Itunes is great for distributing other types of electronica but I just feel like a new site or collective of labels would be a cool way to distribute
a bit more avant-garde music as well as push the boundries a bit. If all we get to hear is the same tired old sh!t coming from beatport than where are we going to be in a few years?

And if money is the issue for people, cut out a place like beatport and distribute from small label collectives where the labels share the costs and reap the benefits.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

livecollective wrote:Listen, I am trying to live off this as well, and if beatport is working for you than keep with it. I just want to see more representation of electronica that is not exactly mainstream.

I am alright with having another job if I have to get one. Music is always going to be a passion regardless of whether I am getting money or not.

The qualms i have beatport are, unless you are making mainstream music, you won't have your music heard much on there. For instance I have a few artists who make very avant-garde music (and its fantastic) and its useless for me to even distribute it to beatport. It will be lost. Everyone is way to interested in whats in the top 100 or on someones chart.

I know Itunes is great for distributing other types of electronica but I just feel like a new site or collective of labels would be a cool way to distribute
a bit more avant-garde music as well as push the boundries a bit. If all we get to hear is the same tired old sht coming from beatport than where are we going to be in a few years?

And if money is the issue for people, cut out a place like beatport and distribute from small label collectives where the labels share the costs and reap the benefits.
What about speaking to Boomkat, they have just launched a Digital service which sounds like it might be what you're looking for!?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

I will talk to them, thank you.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

livecollective wrote:Listen, I am trying to live off this as well, and if beatport is working for you than keep with it. I just want to see more representation of electronica that is not exactly mainstream.

a bit more avant-garde music as well as push the boundries a bit. If all we get to hear is the same tired old sht coming from beatport than where are we going to be in a few years?

if i love a new record label or 'underground' artist, whether i have found them through a random browse on myspace, through a friend or through some experimental radio show/podcast, i will then check on beatport to see if it's been released on there. if it hasn't, then i'll contact the producer, find another way (legally) or hunt down the 12' record if I have to.

The point i'm trying to make is, I don't browse beatport like I used to with record shops 4/5 years ago. I use it because with all the music sites and different ways to get music, it's solid and convenient to manage. In this new climate if people wanna really make somethin happen and make a change, then people need to think outside the box and start coming up with new ways to show, promote and sell people music in this 'high volume' digital world we now are a part of.

quit moaning, starting thinking! anyway beatport isn't that bad, I mean I have seen very forward thinking labels like 'hotflush' on the quick link main page and that is one SICK label
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

livecollective wrote:I will talk to them, thank you.

No problem…

Do you press onto Vinyl? I have just started up a small label pressing 400 copies of each specializing in really deep stuff, some eclectic and various other forms of music that wouldn’t be classed as mainstream. If you do press onto vinyl there are many shops out there willing to take this sort of stuff, like Hardwax, Boomkat, Juno, Intersteller etc…It might be worth contacting them if you haven’t already as some of the shops mentioned above shift a lot of units.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Why are you upset with Beatport? Because they're a company who caters to a demographic that actually WANTS their service? As a label owner and customer, I've personally never had a single issue with Beatport. Sure, I think they release a lot of garbage but any music outlet does.

For a label owner, they are good partners. Their cut of the money may be a bit high, but as long as you have a solid product they will help push your label for free. Getting a banner/ad is pretty easy and it's free. There is no bullshit payola schemes (regardless of rumors), and the promotion tactics are fair. They say they pay 30 days after the end of the quarter and they ALWAYS pay on time in full. Name a distributor who has done this. They make life easy when uploading music and checking out real time statistics. I've worked with other mp3 websites and none of them have their operation together as impressive as Beatport does.

On the customer front, they have a fairly wide selection with fast download speeds and easy checkout capabilities. If you have a problem with the downloads, their tech support is helpful.

I have my issues with Beatport, don't get me wrong, but you can't knock a company for doing something well. It disappoints me that no other MP3 site has even come close to challenging Beatport as a competitor for the top spot, but I hope that day comes. With competition comes innovation.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:Why are you upset with Beatport? Because they're a company who caters to a demographic that actually WANTS their service? As a label owner and customer, I've personally never had a single issue with Beatport. Sure, I think they release a lot of garbage but any music outlet does.

For a label owner, they are good partners. Their cut of the money may be a bit high, but as long as you have a solid product they will help push your label for free. Getting a banner/ad is pretty easy and it's free. There is no bullshit payola schemes (regardless of rumors), and the promotion tactics are fair. They say they pay 30 days after the end of the quarter and they ALWAYS pay on time in full. Name a distributor who has done this. They make life easy when uploading music and checking out real time statistics. I've worked with other mp3 websites and none of them have their operation together as impressive as Beatport does.

On the customer front, they have a fairly wide selection with fast download speeds and easy checkout capabilities. If you have a problem with the downloads, their tech support is helpful.

I have my issues with Beatport, don't get me wrong, but you can't knock a company for doing something well. It disappoints me that no other MP3 site has even come close to challenging Beatport as a competitor for the top spot, but I hope that day comes. With competition comes innovation.
They dominate the market as well. Not sure on your label statistics, but they take 90% of our digital sales which is massive. We have just gone exclusive to Beatport, which now means that we get featured releases, banner support etc which has meant our sales have increased.

I have heard a lot of labels talking about starting up their own site, but Beatport has so many users/traffic I cant see an independent site doing very well especially if the likes of JunoDownload, Kompakt and so on cant do it.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

::BLM:: wrote: I have heard a lot of labels talking about starting up their own site, but Beatport has so many users/traffic I cant see an independent site doing very well especially if the likes of JunoDownload, Kompakt and so on cant do it.
I heard they hit one million users.