Drums in deep house

- ask away
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

Low-pass? Dude, I always thought of background loops as fillers, but I'm always HIGH-passing them to maintain clear bass and kick.

Anyways, this trick works well if you're into doing rolling tune with lot of high freqs. Lot of DnB heads are doing this, the sample old funk, rock, and dnb loops, highpass them, put them on the top of the tune.

Sry for dnb OT, but that's just a example.
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

::BLM:: wrote:I used to think like that, but you can get real creative when it comes to sampling and I'm talking about where you sample from. The likes of Theo Parrish, Moodymann etc... The original Detroit house don's... all sample, but creatively. There is a video on YouTube of Theo Parrish recording a vocalist under a bridge and basically him going round Detroit recording stuff… I just think that stuff there is proper deep…Lots of feeling gone into the way he makes music. Sampling often gets a bad rep cause you have all these sample packs avaible and people often forget that its more then just downloading a few ready made sample packs off the internet...
That to me isn't sampling though, that's recording. It may go into a sampler once it's recorded then technically it is sampling :P But to me, taking a piece of music and using it in your own, no matter how unrecognisable you make it before it's used, is sampling. If one person can identify it, then that's not good, haha.

Obviously that's a pretty hard line I'm taking but i've been involved with the breakcore scene in the past, and hearing a Richard Devine track in the same set as someone who's put an Amen break through dblue Glitch, and on top of that put a Madonna song through distortion(and managed to get it on vinyl!), is pretty offensive. But as you say there are subtle methods, but there's also frauds among us :P
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

Sphere42 wrote:Low-pass? Dude, I always thought of background loops as fillers, but I'm always HIGH-passing them to maintain clear bass and kick.
yeah you could do that - filter what you want really. by high-passing you're getting the more percussive frequencies, by low-passing you're getting the boompty end from your sample. the most important thing about funk music is the deep, tight groove. bear in mind, I'm talking about sidechain-gating or compressing (playing with the ADR) this with your kick so either way, your kick shouldn't get lost.
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

That's good tip, sidechaining instead of highpass...

Thanks a lot! (Diky! ;-) )
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

stop using a computer...

...There's Something About Detroit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dydtXJ94CE
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Smear wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:I used to think like that, but you can get real creative when it comes to sampling and I'm talking about where you sample from. The likes of Theo Parrish, Moodymann etc... The original Detroit house don's... all sample, but creatively. There is a video on YouTube of Theo Parrish recording a vocalist under a bridge and basically him going round Detroit recording stuff… I just think that stuff there is proper deep…Lots of feeling gone into the way he makes music. Sampling often gets a bad rep cause you have all these sample packs avaible and people often forget that its more then just downloading a few ready made sample packs off the internet...
That to me isn't sampling though, that's recording. It may go into a sampler once it's recorded then technically it is sampling :P But to me, taking a piece of music and using it in your own, no matter how unrecognisable you make it before it's used, is sampling. If one person can identify it, then that's not good, haha.

Obviously that's a pretty hard line I'm taking but i've been involved with the breakcore scene in the past, and hearing a Richard Devine track in the same set as someone who's put an Amen break through dblue Glitch, and on top of that put a Madonna song through distortion(and managed to get it on vinyl!), is pretty offensive. But as you say there are subtle methods, but there's also frauds among us :P
Your recording your own samples mate. It's sampling just not from someone elses music. I just watched that Theo Parrish video again...Man it would be so nice to have some muscians to work with...

Breakcore huh! My brother makes that sort of stuff and plays ll over the country. Jakecore I think his name is...
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

::BLM:: wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:Thanks, guyz for your help :D

I'm not a big sample fan, I prefer creating my own stuff :lol:
But I will look for what the samples are proposing me :lol:
I used to think like that, but you can get real creative when it comes to sampling and I'm talking about where you sample from. The likes of Theo Parrish, Moodymann etc... The original Detroit house don's... all sample, but creatively. There is a video on YouTube of Theo Parrish recording a vocalist under a bridge and basically him going round Detroit recording stuff… I just think that stuff there is proper deep…Lots of feeling gone into the way he makes music. Sampling often gets a bad rep cause you have all these sample packs avaible and people often forget that its more then just downloading a few ready made sample packs off the internet...
Plus there is plenty of sounds that are impossible to synthesis that are prevalent in deep house
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
Plus there is plenty of sounds that are impossible to synthesis that are prevalent in deep house
:shock: could you give some example please ?