Broken beat minimal.

- ask away
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Sounds crap, 4x4 all the way....

:lol:
yeah, I'm working on it. :P
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

sven laux wrote:what is broken beat minimal music?
IMO Electro
Not much can be more minimal than something like a really nasty Aux 88 track or Dopplereffekt where it's nothing but a kick drum a snare and a bassline.

I already think allot of stuff that people call minimal is just Dub Techno anyways.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

the definition of broken beat is quite loose, but its not really electro or breakbeat.
i suppose breakbeat has now evolved away from its ancestry of sampled funk drummer 'breaks' (instrumental middle sections) and is now a very wide genre. brokenbeat is more jazz influenced, rhythmically similar but not so much reliant on sampled breaks, more programmed syncopation, but of course there are lots of interpretations.
brokenbeat is a style which originated in London, and is quite often categorised with Nu-jazz.
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

Firstly...

fck ME THREE TIMES!!! This is my THIRD ATTEMPT TO POST REPLY. After writing a long one (lost) and short one (lost too), I've decided to write sh!t down in fricking wordpad and then copy/paste it here. I'm trying new Opera 10 alpha, and suddenly, written text now does not stay written while going back/forward.... don't ask my why I did went back, cos I really don't know....

Ok, now....

Steevio>>>

Nice music up on myspace sir! Also you've got my interest in your new label.
Keep in up!!!

Sven>>

Thanks for poiting out Emmerichk. I've found very nice tune on YukiYaki (YkYk006) called "Jewish" from him, and it is very nice track with that kind of rhythm I was after.

victorgonzales>>>

Damn, I completely forgot about this one

Dana Ruh - Ohemja (Seph remix) (Harry Klein Networks 2008)

Nice tune with kind of creepy atmosphere and broken beat on top.

In the first post that I was writing, I was talking lot about dubstep, but to keep it short, have a listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWsEBlDtgAw

It's part from Shackelton's set on Sonar this year.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Protman 8) http://www.protman.com/

I don't think he considers himself to be "minimal," but it's a usually a 2-step beat and very glitchy.

I saw him live, once. He did the show with an Xbox 360 controller and wireless mic under a mask, running around through the crowd the whole time. :D
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Sphere42 wrote:

In the first post that I was writing, I was talking lot about dubstep, but to keep it short, have a listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWsEBlDtgAw

It's part from Shackelton's set on Sonar this year.
Sam Shackleton what a legend !
IMO one of the most talented musicians of any genre around right now.
he doesnt even categorise himself as dubstep or anything else for that matter. his music covers so many angles, jazz, minimal, dubstep, techno...etc etc
we need more musicinas who take chances like him to keep electronic music vibrant.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

agreed about mister shackleton.

i was lucky enough to have been kinda waiting for his new(ish) material to come out on cd rather than listening in bits as it came out on vinyl. so I had a bit of a backlogue of his new stuff that I hadn't heard. anyways i got the new double cd the other day and had a bit of a session.

deeply inspiring music in every respect.

for example,

'death is not final'

!!!
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

Death is not final. What a tune! I think we can expect more tunes like this, cos he moved to Berlin now, so local minimal scene will surely have some influence on him.

oblioblioblio, have you checked his set for Mary Anne Hobbs? Very deep and inspiring set.