16/44 or 24/96

- ask away
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

clubfoot wrote:also an extra tip; if you can simply run your main outs through an analog mixer and back into your DAW you might find it improves the sound - you'll need a stereo input on your soundcard of course.
I know about the first tip but can you elaborate on this on?!

Thnx
Tasos
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Daemonix wrote:
clubfoot wrote:also an extra tip; if you can simply run your main outs through an analog mixer and back into your DAW you might find it improves the sound - you'll need a stereo input on your soundcard of course.

Thnx
Tasos
use your dj mixer if its a decent one
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

Daemonix wrote:

Thnx
Tasos
run your master output from the soundcard into a "line-in" on an external, analog mixer. then run the master output of the mixer back into an input channel on the soundcard and record that...
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

i feel like a fucking idiot for not thinking of this before...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I only use 44kHz cos 96 uses twice as much cpu for me, as I don't like bouncing anything down or using samples.

If I had the cpu resources I'd do stuff at 24/96 though definitely.

On the reverse of this, I was playing about recently with a nice dithering vst and I discovered you can get some very nice 'musical' noise by lowering the bit depth.. obviously this is the same as using a bitcrusher, but if you use a vst that is designed to do it in an elegant way for mastering purposes you can get some nice results. I was down to 8 bits and it sounded great.

(obviously I don't mean on a master channel, but on a single instrument or in an effects chain it was actually very nice).
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

bitcrushing 4 life.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I've never relly been into it that much before actually.

Bitcrushing with plugs was never meaty enough at low settings, and then at high settings it just made garbled horrible noise. this dithering thing seems nice though.

Downsampling always fascinated me a lot more, cos yo can get some awesome hamronics as you fill your waveform with loads of mini squares. Been meaning to look into finding a way to control this actually.
harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvey »

clubfoot wrote:
harvey wrote:
4am wrote:recording the mixdow to a track instead of using "render"
your gonna have to bear with me here. so i send the main out to the input and record another stereo track within my DAW? Then export the audio file?
yeah that's pretty much it. record your main out on another stereo track and you'll have a wav.

the sounds will work better together being recorded in, rather than being digitally calculated (rendered). also an extra tip; if you can simply run your main outs through an analog mixer and back into your DAW you might find it improves the sound - you'll need a stereo input on your soundcard of course.
I've got an 828 mkII so that shouldn't be a problem. so eventually i'll only export a single audio track instead of the whole arrangement inside of the locators? At the moment i set my locators around the whole track, select all and export audio. Sorry, but it sounds the same exporting a single track, no? Proper confused to f**k now :oops: