Synth recommendations

- ask away
colinstark
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by colinstark »

How about a futureretro xs? its a mono semi modular, a lovely one!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

nrjizer wrote:I suppose I have a preference for polyphonics, since I'm a sucker for nice deep chords. But I'm open to monophonic suggestions too. I have no preference between analog/virtual. I'd preferably like to get something second hand that won't cost an arm and a leg.

I know I'm not being terribly specific, but I don't know a whole lot about individual synths because I rarely get a chance to try any. If I could rob Vince Watson, Satoshi Fumi, and Funk D'Void's studios, I'd be set. I'm not sure exactly what instruments they're using, but I just know that I love the lush sounds they use in their productions and would like to get some synths that do well with that sound/style.
my friend is a good mate of both vince watson and funk d'void, i'll find out for you.

you dont need a polyphonic synth to play lush chords, three oscillators will do it, ok it limits you a bit, but i get better sounding chords out of my mono voyager than any other synth ive got, and you can forget the western scale and do it all by ear. the limitation makes you listen harder and find more unusual combinations of tones.

for virtuals, nord3, modular and the access virus series are wicked.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

my mate reckons both vince watson and funk d'void use Roland JP8000 's, but FDV has a lot of analogue synths too.
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

how much do you want to spend? i recommend an old fat sounding synth for ear satisfaction :-) such as an Oberheim Xpander or cheaper a matrix 1000. I wouldnt suggest the alpha Juno 1 or 2...sound variety isn't in a really wide range! anyway good luck with the selection :idea:
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

matrix 1000 is a great buy and analog,
you can find software editors for it too.

any of the Virus series is great!
the C series are more affordable now

Dave Smith Evolver Desktop or Morpho
both Monophonic Analog and affordable!
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/mopho/

look on Craigslist if it services your area
I've found a bunch of great deals on there.
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

Great suggestions guys... thanks a lot.
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Synth recommendations

Post by JCH »

nrjizer wrote:I'm looking to expand my collection of hardware synths and gradually get a nice little home studio going. The problem is, living in bumfuck nowhere doesn't give me much opportunity to shop for synths and try them out in person, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

I really like the sounds of artists like Vince Watson, Satoshi Fumi, Funk D'Void, Aril Brikha, etc, so I'd like to get some instruments that have a penache for those sorts of sounds (if you search any of those guys in youtube you'll get some samples).

I'm open to both older synths and newer synths (I love em all), just preferably things that I can still get my hands on and that don't cost a total fortune. I currently have a Nord Rack 2.

Thanks for the input.
Something from Clavia?
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

arp2600?