ppl that dj with turntables and ableton - what is ur setup?

- ask away
sajin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sajin »

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:01 pm Post subject:
Yeh yeh, its not the beatmatching thats the problem, its sending your deck output through ableton to use its effects, because of the latency it sucks ass
I've done some of this in the past as well. The latency can be a problem, but if you adjust buffer sizes you can minimize the impact. When the latency is setup, at best it shuold sound like a flanger has been put over the music if you play the output signal and return together. The power of your system and the quality of your hardware will really be the determining factor for using ableton as a efx unit.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Yeh yeh, its not the beatmatching thats the problem, its sending your deck output through ableton to use its effects, because of the latency it sucks ass

live is my 3rd deck, but the sound quality is shocking really....
what do you mean by shocking?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Playing next to vinyl and cd, the sound quality is wank..

Ive tried the old bbe + psp vintage warmer on the master but that just turns everything to mud if you push your gain too high...

Any tips dude, i know your a whizz on live?
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Playing next to vinyl and cd, the sound quality is wank..

Ive tried the old bbe + psp vintage warmer on the master but that just turns everything to mud if you push your gain too high...

Any tips dude, i know your a whizz on live?
What kind of settings are you using on the psp? No presets I hope..
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

It depends;

Generally ill just put the drive up to about 2db on the main setting, then push up 90hz & 7khz on the multiband by about 2db aswell...

Its more to take the harshness away that the BBE gives to the highs and add a bit of punch to the kick and bass....

Im using repitch too, and wav files most of the time, but its still really up to cd standard imo...

Im sure there are remedys, its just a problem i get as i like to mix up ableton with decks...

Im actually thinking of doing away with an anologue mixer alltogether and mixing everything in live; has any body tried this?
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Vintage Warmer settings

Drive +4 ... Lo 0db, Freq 80hz.. Hi +2db, Freq 7hz .... Mix 50% ... Output 0db
Knee 0 .... Speed 100 .. Release x1 ... Cieling 0db

These settings get the best balance to restore the punch of the track without mushing it all up ...
adds the bass back and further gives sparkle to the hi's ...

The mix setting is key. 50% is like wet dry and it makes all the difference turning that down. Tune your hi and lo Freq where it feels like a good avg to ya ..

i try and bring out my kick / bass warmth and snare range respectively (7k or so) ....

Ow and use beatsmode. Really, try it. I know almost everybody says you have to use re-pitch or complex. I did some testing on big PA's only using beatsmode and it sounds great. For minimal & techno it's the right way to go. Don't use it on trance or overly compressed basslines, then it'll sound like sh!t. And your using MIK right? You'll have a blast!!
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

S.D.L wrote:Vintage Warmer settings

These settings get the best balance to restore the punch of the track without mushing it all up ...

The mix setting is key. 50% is like wet dry and it makes all the difference turning that down. Tune your hi and lo Freq where it feels like a good avg to ya ..

i try and bring out my kick / bass warmth and snare range respectively (7k or so) ....

Ow and use beatsmode. Really, try it. I know almost everybody says you have to use re-pitch or complex. I did some testing on big PA's only using beatsmode and it sounds great. For minimal & techno it's the right way to go. Don't use it on trance or overly compressed basslines, then it'll sound like sht. And your using MIK right? You'll have a blast!!
MIK?
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
S.D.L wrote:Vintage Warmer settings

Ow and use beatsmode. Really, try it. I know almost everybody says you have to use re-pitch or complex. I did some testing on big PA's only using beatsmode and it sounds great. For minimal & techno it's the right way to go. Don't use it on trance or overly compressed basslines, then it'll sound like sht. And your using MIK right? You'll have a blast!!
MIK?
I thought that you're using Mixed in Key. Thought I read that somewhere..