What constitutes "boring" minimal?

- ask away
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Are these examples of what you'd call bad minimal ano.phi ?

(just checking cos I can't check from work, and you didn't specify wether you liked em or not, If it's relevant I'll check em later to see what you are pointing out)

Anyway - just a wee comment on what you've said :

"
Techno is supposed to make you feel sexy and by god, if it doesn't do that, i'd rather be listening to bluegrass. "

Where does it say Techno is Sexy ?

Techno is Techno - a concept / vision of the future, a social comment, an artistic movement, an established (for now) type of music.

It got hijacked somewhat by clubbers when it proved to be a sucess in the clubs, and sure thing - plenty of techno is Sexy.

But there's no hard fast rule about it being Sexy.

Pedantic I know , but it's important that if we're gonna criticise or praise that we are playing in the same ballpark.

Personally If you take Techno back to being a concept and started to go all drexcia about it and release visionary soundtracks of the future, you might find it can be anything from apocalyptic to warm and snuggly.

Would depend on your vision of the future ?

Personally I'm a bit of a defeatist when it comes to general Human nature, so I like cold abrasive techno because It's where I fear we are headed and if music is one part social comment, it's very apt to feature the cold, mechanical sounds of modern warfare for example.

Which is a million miles from the wee club bubble that most people involved in music live in.

For that reason - I'd slate a lot of what I call 'safe' music, which basically to me is the sound of youth all sitting preening themselves while the rest of the world goes to sh!t.

I reckon I'm gonna start making Death metal :)
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

AVX23 wrote:Are these examples of what you'd call bad minimal ano.phi ?

(just checking cos I can't check from work, and you didn't specify wether you liked em or not, If it's relevant I'll check em later to see what you are pointing out)

Anyway - just a wee comment on what you've said :

"
Techno is supposed to make you feel sexy and by god, if it doesn't do that, i'd rather be listening to bluegrass. "

Where does it say Techno is Sexy ?

Techno is Techno - a concept / vision of the future, a social comment, an artistic movement, an established (for now) type of music.

It got hijacked somewhat by clubbers when it proved to be a sucess in the clubs, and sure thing - plenty of techno is Sexy.

But there's no hard fast rule about it being Sexy.

Pedantic I know , but it's important that if we're gonna criticise or praise that we are playing in the same ballpark.

Personally If you take Techno back to being a concept and started to go all drexcia about it and release visionary soundtracks of the future, you might find it can be anything from apocalyptic to warm and snuggly.

Would depend on your vision of the future ?

Personally I'm a bit of a defeatist when it comes to general Human nature, so I like cold abrasive techno because It's where I fear we are headed and if music is one part social comment, it's very apt to feature the cold, mechanical sounds of modern warfare for example.

Which is a million miles from the wee club bubble that most people involved in music live in.

For that reason - I'd slate a lot of what I call 'safe' music, which basically to me is the sound of youth all sitting preening themselves while the rest of the world goes to sht.

I reckon I'm gonna start making Death metal :)

That's really funny actually. I went from playing guitar in black metal bands to listening to Square Pusher, to jungle, to techno.

And i did specify which of those tracks i like and dislike, infact, it's underlined infront of them. :p

Also, if you listen to the Seph track, it's pretty dark and not clubby. So looks like we share alot of interests. -_^
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

communikey.us/festival - Boulder Electronic Music Festival April '08
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Boring (for me)= something that isn't doing anything at all for me.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

ano.phi wrote:
And i did specify which of those tracks i like and dislike, infact, it's underlined infront of them. :p

Also, if you listen to the Seph track, it's pretty dark and not clubby. So looks like we share alot of interests. -_^
Ahhh - gotcha - ok, I'll check em out :)

Didn't quite twig that the boring and hot parts weren't the track title - DOH !
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Can't say if something is boring in the minimal/techno scene. It really depends on the track it self.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

New Guy wrote:Boring (for me)= something that isn't doing anything at all for me.
+1

typical the following artists i find interesting (most of the time).

Jeff Samuel
Mathew Jonson
Mossa
Frankie
Ark
Cabanne (but i can understand if people find his music boring)
Akufen
Paradroid
Mike Shannon
Bruno Pronsato
[a]pendics shuffle
Donk Boys
SLG
Le K
Tom Ellis
Steevio
Pheek
Monoblock
Pantytec

i'm getting carried away so i'll stop.

It's hard to name the artists i don't like because i don't buy their music.

but it's typically stuff that sounds like Gaiser and other m_nus artists. But then again i love some tracks in that style.
sonofradiator
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sonofradiator »

I got into techno, house and minimal having been brought up on a healthy diet of electronica, so it took me a while to find my niche. I remember buying Closer To The Edit around the time I was religiously listening to Aphex, and though "this music's kind of nice sounding, but it's a bit boring".

That said, I love DE9 now, but my tastes still definitely edge towards the mre quirky, experimental, and downright weird end of 4/4. E.g:

FYM / S-Max / Boogizm
Paradroid
[A]pendics
Donk Boys
Trimsound crew
Mossa
Crackhaus / Stephen Beaupre / Deadbeat
My opinion is that a lot of the 'boring minimal' might be the sort of stuff that actually probably has more cred as minimal music :

Studio 1, Mike Inc, Brinkmann, Basic Channel, Mosaic Records, DBX etc.
I have to admit to being a bit of a techno heathen at times. I always try to find excitement (or any kind of response) in the likes of the classic Basic Channel stuff, but my attention always drifts off. Loopyness isn't my bag I guess.
S-Max & Spatial
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71085/

facebook.com/schmorgasbord
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

'minimal' is dance music though, sometimes a repetitive tune you listen to on the way home from work seems boring, but in a club, with all the distrotion and bass, it sounds AMAZING. repetition with subtle cahnges creates groove, although i do appreciate that unless theres an element of originality, a tune can sound extremely cliche.....